Saturday, August 02, 2008

Published

A funny thing happened to me late yesterday afternoon. When I went to get the mail, I noticed a large manilla envelope addressed to me, with a return address I didn't recognize. Inside the envelope was the current issue of Motherwords, a glossy parenting magazine based in New England, a writer's contract for me to sign, and a little check. It took me a moment to realize that the contract paperwork was bookmarking a magazine page with my byline on it. Only then did I call up the vaguest recollection of submitting a piece of writing to this new magazine over a year ago. I had forgotten all about it.

Hilariously, my essay is titled "Confessions of a Contented Mom." (Because don't I seem so contented these days?) It was written a year and a half or so ago, though, remember---when I apparently was a lot more contented than I am now, ha! No, really, the topic of the essay is how I have no desire to return to (outside the home, paid) work, and even though lately my stay-at-home-mom job has been more stressful and less joyful than it was, say, before Genevieve learned how to throw a righteous tantrum and before she began screaming for an hour at bedtime every night, my preference for being a stay-at-home-mom rather than an office-job-mom is unchanged. I still feel that way, even though I'm a beleaguered, depleted, stress-case mom right now.

Unfortunately, Motherwords doesn't have an online version of each issue, so I can't link to the essay itself. But here's the Motherwords site if you're interested in what they're about, anyway.

11 comments:

Rob Hardy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rob Hardy said...

I remember that thrill of opening a real magazine (in my case, Lake Superior Magazine) and seeing my name in print for the first time. It can be addictive. I hope you experience that thrill many,many more times.

Congratulations!

Shan said...

Thank you, Rob!

Mom said...

Congratulations!! I am proud of you as always! Be sure to bring said glossy magazine along with you when you come. Who writes comments on here that have to be deleted, anyway??

Shan said...

It happens sometimes. Sometimes a comment gets posted in duplicate by accident, so the person who wrote it goes and deletes one of them. Or they post with a spelling error and delete it and re-post.

Rob Hardy said...

I confess: typographical error. I had to delete and retype the comment. Blogger should really have a "preview" feature, as TypePad does, to give you another chance to edit your comment. In any case, the deleted comment was nothing sinister!

Shan said...

I totally agree, Rob, about Blogger's lack of preview! I hate that! I often post comments with mistakes in them, then assume people will figure it out. Still, annoying. See, Mom? Nothing sinister. ;)

Sheri said...

awesome!

Mnmom said...

Congratulations!!! Many many wishes for more such success.

At about 5:30om today, I was parked near the Public Library, and I honked at a runner that I swear was you. Was it?? Earphones, pink shirt?

Shan said...

Hey, MNMom, it WAS me! I don't usually run over there but needed a change of pace. I didn't see you in the car! I was too focused on trying not to die. Um, 300% humidity = very poor running weather.

Mnmom said...

I also don't usually hang around in my parked car waiting for friends to run by, but I had just picked up a book and couldn't wait to start reading.