Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fall Routine

So what are you up to this week? I'm busy having, like, ten baby playdates. What, you don't believe me about the ten? How about two? Actually originally it was three, and then one got rescheduled for next week. Let me tell you, though---when you've just barely begun the fall/preschool routine and thus are feeling a bit disoriented and disorganized (what? fall? jackets? what?), hosting even two baby playdates feels like a lot. Not that they aren't a ton of fun, because they are. But I have to keep reminding myself that I have to be home at certain times, and dressed, and groomed, because COMPANY is coming over.

Speaking of jackets, yesterday during preschool Genevieve and I went to Target to look for a fall jacket for Julia. It had suddenly occurred to me that she had a new windbreaker, size 4T, and an old parka from last year that still fits, but nothing for, like, the entire months of October and November (and then, later, March and April). I ended up spending $25 on a jacket for my four-year-old. Which is more than MY OWN FALL COAT FROM TARGET cost me. Of course, I bought mine five years ago, but still.

Today is a non-jacket day, though--sunny and 75 degrees. Although it feels more summery again, I have noticed this week that, already, the girls are sleeping later each morning due to the later sunrise. Ah, a return to a normal sleep schedule? Can it be? Well, maybe, but then again, Genevieve's still up to her old bedtime tricks, SCREAMING HER EVER-LOVING HEAD OFF for a full hour most every night, enraged that bedtime should even occur at all. How dare anyone suggest she go to bed? Madness!

Lastly, two little nuggets of joy. First, can I just say that fall is the best running season ever? I can be slogging along like I'm about to die all August long, suffering through my four-mile runs like they're marathons, stopping to walk when the humidity is so high I can't breathe, and then all of a sudden September dry air arrives and I'm flying out the door at 6 p.m. like I'm running my own personal road race. It's SO FANTASTIC. I love it. I always run more, and farther, in the fall, because it feels so much easier to me. It's a good thing, too, because I've got to work off the extraneous ice-cream pounds I collected in late summer, when I skipped most of my workouts due to the heat and the utter lack of free time. Thank God for autumn!

Second, do you know Emily, of "not that you asked"? She is so freaking hilarious. This post actually caused me to laugh so hard today (out loud, too) that I both snorted AND cried. Seriously. It's the part about stepping on the rat. I know, I know--utterly hideous, but she has a knack for describing things in the funniest possible way. Don't even get me started on the one about the Craftmatic adjustable bed. OK, maybe it's just me, but I feel compelled to share the hilarity. You never know when someone out there might be in need of a really good laugh. Have at it!

And with that, the girls are up. So, enough rambling. Happy reading, laughing, running, and playing with babies.

No comments: