Friday, September 19, 2008

Talk About Obama

Risking a repeat psychiatric (mis)diagnosis, I have to say: I am disheartened down to the soles of my feet about the Republicans.

Not just disheartened: terrified. Baffled. Feeling as though I have stumbled into another galaxy, into a horror movie, into a bad dream. (True story: I actually had a bad dream the other night; in my nightmare, Sarah Palin had bipolar disorder and was in the midst of a florid manic state, which manifested itself in her PHYSICALLY ATTACKING ME in a violent manner as I raced madcap and terrified around my kitchen, seeking escape. How's THAT for a statement from one's subconscious? Or not so subconscious?) On a daily basis I find myself shaking my head at the unfathomable selection of Sarah Palin as VP candidate and at the even more unfathomable fact that some people ACTUALLY THINK SHE'S A GOOD CANDIDATE. How is this possible? These people who are so dazzled by Sarah Palin--what can they be thinking? They terrify me. Truly. And it depresses me to no end that our country is full of so many people who apparently really think that the things McCain and Palin stand for are acceptable. Intolerance! Tax cuts for the wealthiest among us! Unaffordable health care! Uninsured children and families! Bigotry against gay people! War, war, war! Ah, yes: good old "Christian" family values.

So when I discovered this essay by Anne Lamott in Salon.com tonight, it was a balm for my tired, discouraged, Democrat soul. Any mama-writer worth her salt adores Anne Lamott. She's brilliant, she's hilarious, she's been around the block a time or two, she's a genius writer with a lot to say. And she gets how I've been feeling these days; she's been feeling it herself. And she turns it into a call to action, a nondenominational prayer, a sense of humor, a refusal to give up hope. I don't often write politics on this blog; Mama in Wonderland is about mothering, not the election. But guess what? Mothering IS about the election; the election IS about mothering. The future of our country depends on this election. It's important enough that I uncharacteristically encourage you to go and read.

4 comments:

MamaKel said...

hear here sister

Anonymous said...

Have hope, I met a young college student the other day and she expressed dismay that "women who don't vote" are acting against their own self interest. She's been working all summer to get everyone she knows, or meets, to register and vote this election. I told her I am already registered, and that I only brought up the election to make sure she was registered and was going to vote. I was totally surprised by her conviction and dedication.

Question said...

As you know, I feel the same way you do. But you know what is driving me nuts today? Letters to the editor. The Strib is filled with letters from people calling it liberal for printing legitimate stories about she-who-will-not-be-named.

There is absolutely no evidence the "media" is liberal and, in fact, I would claim it has become so afraid of conservatives that it is not covering anything with any real depth. So, when a local resident whips off a snarky slam to the Strib about being too liberal, I want to get in my car and drive to his/her house and poop on their front steps.

Also, Salon has been a place of refuge for me during these times.

Mnmom said...

question - let's leave the poop in a bag, set in on fire, then ring the doorbell and run like mad.

I'm loving the GOP's statement that they won't let the press near she-who-will-not-be-named until they adopt an attitude of "deference and respect". Deference?? DEFERENCE!!?? Who does she think she is, Queen Elizabeth? She gets nothing but the same hard questions any other candidate should expect.