Thursday, October 16, 2008

Furious

How is it that my toddler throws three tantrums this morning, pretends she wants a morning nap, plays at the playground for an hour (shouldn't an hour of going up and down the jungle gym tire out a two-year-old?) and then drags herself home like she's finishing a marathon and might not make it, yawns her way through lunch and stories, and then REFUSES TO TAKE A NAP?

Why, people? Why?

Did I mention that she woke up crying approximately seventy million times last night, at one point (I believe it was 3:30 a.m.) insisting it was time to get up? When it most certainly was not? And that I then did not return to sleep until approximately 6 a.m.?

Yeah, I'm a little bit annoyed right now. As I go to the nursery to sigh heavily and get the baby back up from her aborted nap. And recall that Christopher is working late tonight.

4 comments:

donna said...

Repeat after me:
I will survive. I will get a break soon. I will get back at Christopher for working late. There is ice cream in the freezer. And one day, I will pine for these days.


----

(I hope I'm not wrong about the ice cream in the freezer!)

Shan said...

I have an even better update. (Although, be assured: there is nearly always ice cream in the freezer.) Two minutes after I posted this, Genevieve became silent (one full hour after being put to bed). She then napped for an hour and fifteen minutes. OK, so not a long nap, but a nap. My theory is that she was overtired today and could not wind herself down. There is no other explanation!

Mnmom said...

Remember, I have one of "those" and they are a handful to say the least. They'll make excellent adults but in the mean time they just wear you down. Ours didn't start sleeping through the night until she was two years old, and then sporadically. But that does end, and they'll find new ways to torment you psychologically. But then again there is the occasional slumber party when whole gangs of them keep you awake.

Anonymous said...

I can SO relate! How maddening! Today was actually strange in that I put my two down and it was quiet RIGHT AWAY! I can't remember the last time that happened. I remember my brothers giving up naps when they were 3 (I, of course, still napped every day after morning kindergarten) and being so smug that my 4-year-old still naps, albeit only about 3 days a week. Are these girls (yours and mine) going to be the ones that give up their naps by age 3? Please, God, NOOOOOOOOOOOO.