Monday, October 20, 2008

Milestone


The Fall 2008 issue of Macalester Today, my alma mater's award-winning alumni magazine, is out at last. You may recall that late last spring, I received notice that the magazine had accepted for publication an essay I'd written, about reconciling an elite education, an ambitious career path, and a modern-day notion of feminism with a 180-degree turn into stay-at-home-motherhood. I titled my essay, "Mama, Ph.D.," and subtitled it, "Can a Mac grad embrace stay-at-home-motherhood and still call herself a feminist?" (The subtitle got cut, but my answer is yes.)

I received my copy of the magazine's new issue in the mail last week, and honestly, I could not be prouder to be published there.


Unfortunately, the magazine does not regularly produce complete online issues, so I don't have a link to my published essay for you. But check back here again soon for more details and I'll hook you up, dear online readers.

In the meantime: So! Excited!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! Can you purchase a copy online?

Shan said...

Anonymous, I don't think so (or at least I can't find any info about that), but the good news is I'll put up a scanned version on my site soon so readers can click on it and read the text that way. Also, the editor fixed me up with several extra copies of the issue, so it's safe to say that close personal friends and family members will be able to read it "in person" if desired.

Rob Hardy said...

Congratulations! I eagerly await the chance to read a scanned copy! I often thought about writing an essay like that, about trying to reconcile a Ph.D and a Mellon Fellowship with washing out diapers in the toilet, fighting the daily nap battles, and reading Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel several dozen times a day. I'm so glad you rose to the challenge. I can't wait to see what you have to say!

donna said...

Congrats!

(And still waiting for my copy to arrive - probably in a couple weeks. (Yes, weeks.))

Tricia said...

Congratulations! And I'm sure it's a sign of more to come!

Question said...

YAY! Great news.

Mom said...

I must add my congratulations! I am so proud of you and your work, both the writing and the stay-at-home mom work. And I know how exciting it is to see that byline!