Saturday, October 11, 2008

Recipe Request: Pan-Roasted Carrots in Cayenne-Cream Sauce

At least one Wonderland reader wants my sinful carrot recipe from the other day. I tried and tried to find it online to post a link (the photo is especially gorgeous), but since I could not remember which magazine I clipped it from more than a year ago, I was unsuccessful. So I'll just give you the recipe here. I adapted it a little bit by using less cream and olive oil than called for. It was still unbelievably rich and savory. This is not an every-day dish. Unless you don't mind heart disease, that is. But it is scrumptious, especially in the fall, and a little heavy cream on an occasional basis won't kill you. Enjoy!

Pan-Roasted Carrots in Cayenne-Cream Sauce
8 servings

2 lbs. fresh whole carrots, unpeeled but well-scrubbed, sliced in half lengthwise (or into thinner strips if your carrots are really large), with a bit of the tops attached if desired (it looks pretty on the serving dish)
1 T. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
ground black pepper to taste
4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (or more if desired)
fresh flat-leaf parsley, snipped, for garnish

Heat olive oil over medium heat in very large skillet. Add carrots, cut sides down, and cover. Cook 10 minutes, shaking pan occasionally to keep carrots from sticking. [Check heat now and then; I accidentally burned my carrots a bit.] Add salt, pepper, and garlic. Flip carrots over. Re-cover skillet and cook another 10 minutes, shaking occasionally, until carrots are tender and deeply browned.

Remove carrots to serving dish. Add cream and cayenne pepper to skillet and simmer, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Pour over carrots and garnish with parsley.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, hon. Can't wait to make it! I just bought cream a couple of days ago for a cake Eric is making, so I'll be making Shanny Carrots tonight :)