Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What-to-Do Wednesdays: Mini "Caramel" Apples

Here's a fun and tasty fall project/recipe from Family Fun magazine: mini "caramel" apples. I wish I had a photo for you of my daughters' creation, but our camera battery died at the crucial moment. Click here to see the magazine version. They are super cute and were a big hit with my girls!

Note: I used a hefty spoonful of organic natural peanut butter, microwaved in a glass bowl for 30-40 seconds until runny, rather than melted butterscotch or peanut butter chips. That way even with my girls' ingestion of their weight in decorative sprinkles, it was still a healthy snack.

Here's what you do:

Use a melon baller to scoop out as many apple balls as you can from a medium apple. But make sure each scoop has a piece of apple skin on it (for the sticks to poke into). Find yourself some wooden coffee stirrers or lollipop sticks (available at craft stores--maybe some grocery stores too? in the baking aisle? not sure where I got mine; they're holdovers from another craft long ago) and cut them in half at an angle (to make a point on one end). Push a stick into the skin of each apple ball, pointy side in.

Melt butterscotch or peanut butter chips in the microwave according to package directions--or nuke some peanut butter like I did. Dip each mini apple into the melted chips or peanut butter, then dip into colored sprinkles, chopped nuts, shredded coconut, or crushed granola. Set each mini apple into a mini muffin-cup paper to set/cool (or just use a plate; but the little paper cups are especially fun for kids).

They look so adorable when they're done, and the girls had a blast making them. Plus: yummy. This is definitely going to be a fall tradition in our family.

2 comments:

Mnmom said...

How cute!!! I'll bet they loved it. I'm going to do that with Lina. Another snack idea we found in FAMILY FUN was to melt PB and add rice krispies, then stir up for dip for apples. Kids loved it. Don't you just love Family Fun mag? They always have such great ideas.

donna said...

This is a fun idea; once I get me a melon-baller.
We do the PB in the micro all the time - works well to make PB cereal (cheerios, kix, rice krispies). The kids love that!