Wednesday, October 01, 2008

What-to-Do Wednesdays: Seed Collection


Ready for another week's autumn-themed kids' activity? I got the idea to go on a seed collecting hunt from Mom and Kiddo over at What Do We Do All Day?, so THANKS, Mom and Kiddo! It's such a great idea I couldn't resist trying it out, and now spreading the word.

Last week Julia, Genevieve, and I began our seed collection. We went on a walk in our neighborhood, hunting for any type of seeds and placing them gently in a Ziploc bag to take home with us. Along the way, we had plenty of time to talk about what seeds are, what types we might find--acorns, pinecones (seeds inside), seed pods from leafy trees, fluffy white dandelion heads--and what grows from them. When we got home we transferred our treasures to the cups of an empty egg carton. We continue to add to our collection here and there; the other day on a family walk, we found a milkweed pod and some green acorns. It's been a fun little science lesson to learn about seeds this fall, and it's a great way to enjoy a lovely autumn day. Best of all, by expanding upon or limiting your hunt as needed, this activity would work for a wide range of ages. Toddlers love to hold round, smooth acorns and explore their bumpy "hats"; a fourth-grader could research different types of seeds at the library (or, let's face it, on the Internet) and get really scientific about it.

Have fun on your own seed hunt! Let me know how it goes!

3 comments:

Mom and Kiddo said...

It's fun, right? Kiddo still cannot pass the horse chestnut tree without filling his pockets. I am especially intrigued by that green teardrop-shaped seed pod.

Shan said...

That's the milkweed pod!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for bringing back What to Do Wednesdays! My two did the previous week's activity with their sitter . . . and came back with lots of brown leaves and gravel. Of course their trip was cut short because my eldest child ate some random berry in the woods. They came home(alive!)and glued all the brown leaves and gravel to a plate. I WOULD display it proudly on the mantle . . . but maybe I'll wait until I can give them more guidance on such a project. Or maybe, for my kids, this was their idea of perfection! Anyway, I thought it was a brilliant fall activity!