Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A Few Random Thoughts on Today

I hardly slept last night. I stayed up late to hear Obama's acceptance speech in real time and then was kept awake the rest of the night by a noisy windstorm, Genevieve's return to hourly wake-ups, and my own brain which would not stop spinning. I kept thinking during the night, "Yes we can, yes we can, yes we can." It's hard to sleep when history's just been made.

This morning I had about five cups of coffee in quick succession and tried to wrap my mind around the day. It feels like the entire world has changed. I keep replaying that moment when NBC News suddenly cut into our local news team at ten p.m. Central Standard Time, and there were a few split seconds of jarring disorganization, when you just knew it was happening, and then Brian Williams said, "There will be young children in the White House again for the first time since the Kennedy administration," and the words on the screen registered: Barack Obama elected 44th President of the United States. And then the amazement, the awe, the cheering, the tears. I will remember that moment for the rest of my life, I am sure.

The other day I ordered a necklace from Old Navy--stay with me now--, had a gift card and picked out some sale items, threw this into my checkout bag because it was fun, and cheap, and I thought it would enliven my basic stay-at-home-mom uniform of solid-colored t-shirts. When it came in the mail yesterday I discovered that it is a little (or a lot?) bit crazy--bright, with beads so huge they resemble those jumbo atomic fire-ball jawbreakers we used to eat as kids, remember those?--only I couldn't tell that from the website image when I ordered it. But Julia fell in absolute love with it, BEGGED me to keep it when I hemmed and hawed. This morning, as we discussed the profound joyfulness of the Presidential election outcome--how we should all be celebrating today--Julia asked me what we could do, to make the day happy, and special, and a celebration. We decided on an indoor picnic for lunch, and also? I put on the bright, crazy necklace and wore it out for flu shots and kids' haircuts and errand-running, in all its big, bold, festive, celebratory glory.

It felt like just the thing.

Happy day to all of you out there today. I hope you're all wearing bright, crazy jewelry and having picnics today. Or your own personal equivalent. I'm full of joy and hope. Aren't you?

3 comments:

Mnmom said...

All day today, during my boring errands, I put my OBAMA sign on my dashboard. I wanted to just honk my horn the whole damn day but my conservative Midwestern instincts kicked in.

Christopher Tassava said...

I am full of joy and hope, and I hope I will be for a long time about that amazing night.

(Kudos to your assistant for waking you up so you could see the speech!)

Heidi said...

Ha ha! I had to wake up Greg, too!