Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What-to-Do Wednesdays: Empty Boxes

The other week the girls and I discovered the book Not A Box, by Antoinette Portis, at the public library. It's a simple, clever, charming picture book about a line-drawn rabbit using his/her imagination to turn a large empty box into a race car, mountain peak, skyscraper, hot-air balloon, robot, rocket, etc.


Last week I rounded up some empty boxes (well, one box and one unused Rubbermaid storage bin), and Julia and Genevieve spent the morning climbing in and out their imaginary trains, tugboats, and school buses.


It was Julia's idea to actually act out the book page by page. The girls had me read it several times in a row so they could do it over and over again. Later, they piled stuffed animals and dolls into their boxes and gave rides to all the babies and creatures.

There's something very heartwarming about the old-school activity of pretend-play with an empty box. Don't you just want to squeeze those cuties peeking out of the boxes up there? Now go find some boxes for your own cuties.

2 comments:

Mnmom said...

I always said my kids enjoyed the boxes the toys came in more than the toys themselves. I took a trick from my mom, and would go to appliance dealers and get big frig or stove boxes - they would play in them for DAYS!

Life's simple pleasures are the best.

Thanks so much for coffee - had a blast, and seeing BOTH little angels was an extra treat. My girls are very excited about next week.

donna said...

My grandma had an old TV box that she kept for the kids - and each week when the kids would go over, they'd take it out. And after about 4 years, the box finally was destroyed.

I gotta tell my dad about MNMom's idea of going down to the warehouse so he can get a new box for the kids.