Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Why is Healthy Food so Expensive?

Today at the grocery store, I SO wanted to buy the Kashi brand health-food frozen waffles, with their all-natural ingredients and their major allotments of both protein and fiber (instead of just sugary carbs, like all the other frozen toaster waffles). I so, so did. (We love the Kashi brand in this house; they do a really good job making convenience foods like dry cereal and granola bars something other than, well, just more processed carbs.) But the Kashi waffles were three dollars per box of six, while the Cub (store) brand ones are $2.39 for ten. My girls eat frozen waffles every single day for breakfast. And I know those Cub ones--even though I buy the whole-wheat--are just a whole lot of nothing. But I still can't justify the expense of the healthy waffles.

Then there's the fact that, after I had the great idea to start serving grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for one meal per week as a way to cut down the grocery bill, I discovered that the second ingredient in Campbell's tomato soup is HIGH-FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. The SECOND ingredient. After tomatoes. BUT BEFORE WATER.

GAH.

8 comments:

Donna said...

Beats me.

As for the Campbell's soup, it is concentrate, so once you add in the water when you prep it, it does bring down the sugar content.

Mnmom said...

I found that my homemade waffles are really tasty frozen, then popped in the toaster. Just be sure to put waxed paper between them in the freezer.

Shan said...

Donna, ah, can you believe I forgot all about how you add the water yourself with the Campbell's soup. But still. It bothers me so much that there has to be high-fructose corn syrup in it AT ALL. MNmom, I do not own a waffle iron. But maybe I should start freezing homemade pancakes and french toast, made with things like ground flaxseed and wheat germ and whole-grain bread.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we totally do that! (I can't believe I didn't mention that at coffee/grocery 101!) Ask for a waffle iron for Christmas. My hubby got one last year and we have used it about 15 times since. We always double our recipe and freeze what we don't eat. His was under $30 and does not take up much storage space--bonus, bonus!

Shan said...

I had a waffle iron once, but when I moved into one tiny home after another, I got rid of it eventually because I HAD NEVER USED IT ONCE, IN OVER A DECADE of marriage and house-running. And anyone who knows me knows that I do not believe in hanging onto objects that are never used. Who has the space? So yes, I guess I could go buy a waffle iron (or ask for one). But probably I'll just try to make and freeze extra pancakes/french toast (no special appliance needed).

Shan said...

Oh, but my main point was not about ways to make homemade waffles (or any other foods), but about WHY IS IT SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE TO BUY HEALTHIER FOOD in the grocery store than it is to buy less healthy food? THAT'S what bothers me. I make plenty of healthy homemade food. But sometimes a mama wants or needs something quick and made by someone else, and it infuriates me that the healthier supermarket options are also often the unaffordable ones.

Mommy2SerenityL said...

I agree! I was just at the grocery store.. and Seriously.. why is organic milk $5.49 a gallon.. and a bag of apples close to $7?! I was shocked!

I am excited about the day we have a house and yard to plant a garden in!

Shan said...

To mommy2serenityl:
Ah yes--wouldn't it be wonderful to grow some of one's own food? How rewarding (and economical).

I have seriously considered buying organic milk--especially after reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver (great book, by the way--informative AND entertaining)--but simply cannot afford it. No way.