Monday, December 15, 2008

Addendum

I really didn't mean that last post to sound as terribly grouchy as it seemed. It's a lovely, sunny winter day, if you happen to like 27-below windchills. Genevieve and I brought Julia to nursery school and Daddy to work, then nixed any further errands for coming home to play with blocks and watch Sesame Street. The house still smells like fudge. I have a festive, sweets-heavy holiday party to attend (and co-host) this evening. I don't have to run tonight, which is a good thing, because: remember? 27-below windchill? I'm busy making a list of all the many things I'd like to buy for myself during the after-Christmas sales (more stylish handbag; smaller jeans; one dressy blouse; a sweater that could be described as "nice"; basic black heels; ice skates so I can teach Julia to skate this winter), even though I probably won't (no money. not kidding. well, maybe the skates.). We have toddler tumbling class tomorrow, which is loads of fun. And our house is awash with constant Christmas carols. (How cute was it that, yesterday afternoon at the Sunday-School Christmas program at the Lutheran church of our dear friends, when the congregation sang "Joy to the World" at the very end, Julia actually correctly sang along, even to the last verse with the words that are hard to remember? She really did. My favorite carol, by the way.)

Christmas is almost here! How are you surviving this final week of waiting? Are you hiding from the windchills, like I am? Are you wrapping modest gifts, and keeping one eye on the economy? Are you listening to "Joy to the World," and considering all the joy of the season? I hope so. Whatever else you're up to this week, drink some cocoa, eat some fudge, and hang those stockings.

6 comments:

Mnmom said...

Again, all extra fudge can be delivered to me, through campus mail no less! HA!

We're ready as can be for the Holidays. Shopping done, tree up, plans made.

Shan said...

Oh, you beat me to it--don't worry, your fudge is forthcoming!!! :)

Rob Hardy said...

Omigosh, is it really the week before Christmas? We don't even have a tree yet, or presents, or...anything.

donna said...

Instead of doing Christmas-y things this weekend, I was in bed laid up with the most serious case of food poisoning I've ever had. I'm only now starting to feel normal.

So I'm in serious "WTF, we're a week away from Christmas!?!" mode.

Shan said...

Argh, you guys are stressing me out! ;) Donna, I am SO SORRY to hear about the food poisoning! I had food poisoning just once, when I was pregnant with Julia! I thought I was going to DIE. Rest up, and be assured that Christmas will still happen, and it will be fine. As for Rob, um....drink some mulled wine and decorate the Xmas tree while tipsy? That sounds fun, doesn't it?

Mnmom said...

Food poisoning - when you are afraid you'll die, then you are afraid you WON'T.