Monday, December 01, 2008

Obsessed with "Our Nest"

courtesy Barnes & Noble

Not long ago, Christopher took the girls to the library and came home with the beautiful children's book Our Nest, by Reeve Lindbergh (Charles Lindbergh's daughter!) and illustrated by Jill McElmurry. None of us had ever seen it before, but it was so striking--so peaceful and comforting and sweet--that I fell in love with it from first read and couldn't get enough.

I won't write a full review here--there are plenty of those around; click here for one--but just know that, if you have small children, you will not be disappointed by this book. The lilting, rhyming text is like a lullaby or bedtime prayer, describing the way the whole world--the universe, even--is enfolded in concentric "nests" of comfort and love (a child in his nighttime bed, a doe and fawn in the grass, the fish in the nest of the sea, the stars nested in space), and the folk-art-ish illustrations are charming and comforting, depicting a sweet storybook world of calm order, with events unfolding just as they should each day and night. My favorite part is the ending, when the book returns to the depiction of a mother tucking her child into bed for the night, and the text says, "We're here in the nest of creation/With the earth and the stars up above/And you're here, safe and warm/In the nest of my arms/When I wrap them around you with love."

Who could resist? Even a grown-up could be comforted by a sweet poem such as that. Oh my. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.

Go buy your family an early Christmas present with a copy of this book! I did.

2 comments:

Christopher Tassava said...

Sheesh. I never even read that book when it was checked out. And the ending sounds nothing like the way the days end around here. Does it come as an audiobook? I'll listen to it at work.

Shan said...

I knew our household really needed our own copy of this book, so I ordered a "like new" used copy from the Amazon Marketplace for $3.99! It will come in a few days and you can read it then.