Wednesday, January 07, 2009

This "Resting" Business is Really Tiring.

Several days ago I decided that a major source of my stress and anxiety is never getting enough sleep. Every morning I wake up--actually some nights I feel like I never went to sleep--with a nervous thrumming in my torso and a sort of dread about having to get up and face the day when I'm still so tired. Genevieve's nighttime sleep has improved since she went back on her acid-reflux medication, but she still has her bad nights. Also, my husband snores.

So anyway, I decided that I would experiment with forcing myself to lie down and rest during the girls' naptime, despite the fact that normally during that time I cook, clean, do laundry, return phone calls and e-mails, conduct computer tasks for my volunteer job, and write. There just aren't enough hours in the day to take one or two off in the afternoon, you know? But I vowed, even so, to try to take a breather during naptime--maybe even nap! If I can't sleep at night, maybe I can sleep during the day. Right?

Well this little plan HAS BEEN SHOT ALL TO HELL. So far this week, instead of resting, I have a.) listened to Genevieve scream for an hour at a time about not wanting to nap; b.) listened to Julia sing in her bed when she's supposed to be napping; c.) submitted an essay to a proposed anthology; d.) submitted an essay to a magazine; e.) created a writing resume for potential freelance writing jobs; f.) joined an online freelance writing job-lead service recommended by my sister, which involved creating a professional writing profile and a portfolio of sample work and posting them all online; g.) applied for two part-time online freelance writing jobs; and h.) brainstormed (unsuccessfully) ways to survive the failing economy.

I AM EXHAUSTED.

11 comments:

Mnmom said...

Something's gotta give here my dear, and it better not be your mental health! What would you tell a client? I know you are devoted to your writing craft, but it really could wait just two more years. You'll be surprised how very quickly they fly by.

I hate to say this, but the nap years might be over. Mine were done by age 3. Horrors I really hate saying that to you!!!!

Sleep in the guestroom. Seriously! A good night's sleep will make you a better wife and mother. I often sleep on our sofa for the very same reason.

Shan said...

You know, I have thought that same thing about possibly postponing doing any writing until G. is in preschool or kindergarten and I have actual time during the day. However, right now I'm trying mainly to find some writing I could do for pay--even a small chunk of money here and there to pay for ECFE, student loan payment occasionally, etc. I know you know how that is. But, it's true I could probably find a way to give it up for now.

As for naps.....ARGH! Actually Julia naps almost every day, even though she's the older. It's kind of funny. Genevieve USUALLY naps too, but then her bedtimes are awful. So....what's a mom to do?!

Shan said...

p.s. if anyone's sleeping in the guest room, it's Christopher! Remember, the master bedroom is where the NEW FIRM KING-SIZED MATTRESS is! ;)

Lori said...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/wri/952728213.html

Saw this listing, thought of you....

Shan said...

Thank you Lori, I'll check this out for sure! Ah, I love making Internet friends. :)

donna said...

I'd suggest the timer-method to manage your time. that is, when you sit down to do something other than relax, set a timer. Do what you need to do. When the timer goes off, no matter where you are in the task, put it down and relax. That way, you ensure some relaxation time as well as some of the tasks you want to get done.

Note: in order for this to work, you actually need to stop doing what you're doing when the timer goes off. There should be no more "I'll just finish this" or "one more task and then I'll be done."

Lori said...

No problem, and nice to meet you! I will drop you a note if I hear about any other freelance gigs...

By the way, did you catch the shout-out I gave your blog back in December? Totally inspired by your hilarious post.

http://www.funnystrange.net/2008/12/christmas-songs-so-funny.html

Shan said...

OMG Lori, whoever you are, NO I had not seen your link to my post about my toddler's obsession with Andy Williams, but I just went and read it and it is hilarious. By the way, Genevieve STILL asks for "Most." I tell her Xmas is over.

Shan said...

Oh, and p.s. to Donna, sweet Donna with her theoretically good suggestions: no way in hell would that ever work for me. Can you actually see me stopping in the middle of a task? (I mean, when I'm not being otherwise interrupted by a child, but VOLUNTARILY stopping something I'm working on, to go and relax?) Maybe in an alternate universe. Sigh.

donna said...

Did you notice I didn't say I used that tactic? That's because I don't. Because there is no way it would work for me - because of the caveat I gave.

However, I did ACTUALLY try it. But it didn't work for me. (not that I expected it to, but now I can't say I didn't try.)

Lori Culwell said...

Oh, sorry! I'm Elise's writer friend from grad school. Snarky Squab? She has a link to your site, and I just started reading. Actually, I was also the one who mentioned my unexplained, intermittent GERD problem a few months ago, in relation to your daughter. My Blackberry wouldn't let me sign in or put my url, for some reason.