Sunday, January 25, 2009

Weekend Update

Genevieve's had four straight "cry-cry"-free bedtimes. So far, she has scored herself two miniature Strawberry Shortcake books, a lift-the-flap book about the world, and a fancy pencil. She is extremely proud of herself. She is also much nicer to be around in general. She does things like speak in adorable five-word sentences and allow her hair to be put into pigtails "yike Abby Cadabby." She repeatedly allows me to kiss and hug her, and says to me, "Mama, you a buddy." When I say, "You're a buddy too, Vivi", she then says, "You a buddy TOO!"

*****

Julia got to skip her nap yesterday to attend a birthday party at the gymnastics club where the girls take their toddler tumbling class. She had a fantastic time, but once she got home, she basically spent the rest of the day crying, and asked to go to bed at 6 p.m. THIS is why my four-year-old still naps.

*****

My great-aunt Audrey is still hanging on to this life, as unbelievable as it seems. She has not had food for over a week and a half. She is under hospice care at her home. Her children--my mom's cousins--and my mom have been holding a death vigil all this time, lives and families on hold, and yet each day I hear nothing. Or, rather, there is nothing to hear. And while you might think that one would just put it out of one's mind and go on living a normal life during this kind of protracted death watch, that's not what's happening with me. Every time the phone rings, I expect it to be news. I lie awake at night thinking about death. I worry about my upcoming week, and wonder if I'll have to--if I'll be able to--go out of town, leave Christopher and the girls with no car, no way to get to preschool and tumbling class. I wonder about icy roads and driving after dark, how fast I can make the 14-hour round trip. I wonder if my parents are still coming to visit next weekend as planned long ago, or if those plans will be postponed. I've got a million things scheduled between now and the end of February--preschool Board duties, children's classes, baby showers and brunches and parties and, oh yeah, my birthday--and I just don't know which of it will actually happen, which will be interrupted or cancelled or missed altogether, and it's stressful to not be able to envision my life in the next few days or weeks, and it's sad to imagine my great-aunt suffering in any way as the days tick by.

*****

Lastly, Julia, who is afraid of the water, begins community-ed preschool-age group swimming lessons this week. Even though it's just half an hour each time, once a week for only five or six weeks, she's dismayed. When I told her about the class, she cried, "Oh, NO, Mama! Not again! I already DID swimming lessons!" Yes, seven months ago. For one week. During which she never did put her face in the water. Poor little water-phobe.

1 comment:

Mom and Kiddo said...

It is amazing what a good night's sleep can do. I miss a good night's sleep....