Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Long-Winded

Last night I did my very best to go to bed early, tired from a long evening run in brisk wind, a busy weekend prior, and a day of limited naps and unlimited tantrums. I turned out the light before 9:30 p.m., but was awakened around 11 by the sound of the back side of our house being buffeted by extremely high winds. Ah, spring in Northfield. The wind blew nonstop all night--it's still blowing now--and it was so loud that I didn't really sleep after that. I tried everything--covering my head with a pillow, turning on an extra white-noise machine--but nothing could drown out the bangs and roars of the wind whipping across the farm field out back, bending our trees and rattling our windows. I figure I slept about two hours.

Strangely, it rained yesterday and last night too, and although the girls and I were outside sledding on our back hill just last Friday, now our backyard is mainly grass. (It's been warm.) This being Minnesota, however, I'm sure a few more snowstorms are in store between now and April.

In other news, Genevieve has added a third alter ego to her list of favorite imaginary identities. The latest is named "Big Boy" and is, per his name, older and larger than Genevieve. In fact, she likes to say that he's "5T." Because apparently my two-year-old is up on toddler clothing sizes.

Do you think I should be worried that all my baby's pretend identities are MALE?

5 comments:

Mom said...

Absolutely not. I *would* worry about your inability to sleep when you are always so tired. I recommend a bottle of Tylenol PM. Non-addictive, helps you sleep, allows you to waken during the night, if need be, and not feel groggy. I think you should try it for awhile.

Shan said...

I don't think anyone was sleeping last night over the sound of that wind. Even Christopher was awake. However, as for the Tylenol PM, I use it sometimes but generally I don't like it because it DOES make me feel groggy the next day. It is very hard to get up in the a.m. after taking it, even if I've had a full night's sleep. Hate that feeling! I only use it on weekends for that reason.

Shan said...

Update! All the local folks on my husband's Facebook page have commented today that they couldn't sleep last night due to the WIND. My insomnia was not unusual!

Christopher Tassava said...

1. Facebook: register for it already. This is getting old. Not as old as you, but old.

2. I've always wanted a boy. I just didn't think I'd have to have two girls to get one.

Mnmom said...

Try Moondrops - a homeopathic sleep aid, we get ours at Econofoods - no kidding.

That wind was INCREDIBLE!

Imaginary friends and identities usually indicate intelligence.