Sunday, February 22, 2009

Progress?

Last Tuesday I successfully ran six miles--a personal goal for 2009, and the longest I've run since 1998, the year before I developed arthritis--and then spent the rest of the week being too busy/lazy/tired to engage in any further exercise whatsoever. Also eating excessive amounts of chocolate and batter-dipped walleye with french fries (belated birthday dinner, people). So, you know: one step forward, two (or three) steps back. Does it count as progress if you run six miles and then fall nine miles behind in your normal weekly mileage because you've HAD IT with running in the cold and snow? I'm not so sure.

In other news that could potentially be interpreted as progress, I spent a few hours at a baby shower this morning for some very dear friends, due in less than a month, and did not for one second ache to give birth to, hold, or otherwise care for a newborn baby. OK, if you get me thinking about nursing, I admit I can get a little misty; but overall the idea of having a newborn in the house again gives me the shakes. I think it's because my TWO-AND-A-HALF-YEAR-OLD still does not sleep through the night, consequently, I am VERY TIRED, YOU ALL.

Of course, later this week I plan to visit a local friend with a week-old infant, and I anticipate there will be some newborn-cradling involved, so talk to me again after I've cuddled an eight-pound bundle to my shoulder. Who's to say? I might wish my own baby wasn't thirty pounds now and saying "yogurt" correctly.

But I kind of doubt it. I'm tired.

1 comment:

Mom and Kiddo said...

It's true, the newborns are cute, esp. compared with the belligerent 4 year old.
But, man, I'm tired, too. Stick a fork in me, because I am done.