Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Apparently My Metabolism Just Turned 38 As Well

The other day I latched onto an irrational fear that I'm pregnant, due to the fact that I've gained five pounds in recent weeks. You know, because miracle-pregnancy is a much more likely explanation than EATING TOO MUCH ICE CREAM WHILE SKIPPING TOO MANY WORKOUTS. Ahem.

It's just that, as a thirtysomething adult, I've really gotten away with murder when it comes to my metabolism. All the childbearing, breastfeeding, and running combined to give me license to eat pretty much anything I wanted, in pretty much any desired amounts, with few if any consequences. (Strangely, this biological lottery-win was not always the case for me. In my twenties, I could gain weight easily if I wasn't careful.) So I haven't really been in the habit of watching what I eat, despite the fact that my doctor mentioned awhile back that, as I near 40 and beyond, things would likely change. (Damn you, medical expert!) Also, although it varies, I'm more of a stress eater than a stress starver. When I'm nervous, I snack, not lose my appetite completely. And, if you hadn't picked up on it by now, I've been a little anxious lately. Plus, I'm so over winter running. The fleece, the hats, the cheekbone frostbite. Ugh! Sick of it. So much nicer to stay home and sit on the couch in my pj's eating, uh, anything and everything. All of which MIGHT be responsible for my winter weight gain. (I know, I know: I lost weight at first, when I gave up evening snacking. Then I faced my household's finances, had a mini-breakdown, and dove into a bag of M&Ms.)

But I'll let you know if it turns out I'm pregnant.

5 comments:

Tricia said...

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the whole "you get fat with age" theory. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I've seen enough women over the age of 40 in amazing shape...and personally, I'm in better shape at *almost* 38 than I was in my 20s. My belief is we get better with age! Read "Ageless Body, Timeless Mind"...lots to support that it's your chosen belief system. If you think that getting older means becoming fat, feeble, and infirm...well, that's what you get. However, lots of snacking does bring on the pounds...sorry.

Mom and Kiddo said...

I am convinced I breastfed my son for so long (until he was 3) because of the "omg I can eat anything I want and still lose weight" phenomenon.

Shan said...

Yeah, seriously, Tricia and Mom and Kiddo! Mom and Kiddo, the nursing was like a MIRACLE DIET. Right?! And Tricia, I agree with you---I am in better shape now than I was in my teens and 20s too. However, it is only recently that lots of snacking has caught up with me. I'm hoping it's more the not running than the too much snacking, and that when the ice finally melts and I am running as consistently as usual again, I can resume my love affair with ice cream. ;)

donna said...

Breasfeeding was a godsend for me too. With my son, I got so skinny that my pants were hanging off my bony hips and, boy howdy, I was ALWAYS eating. My coworkers were always saying, "Another snack?"

Christopher Tassava said...

As someone who's lost more than one candy bar to you, I have to say that you do have a raging metabolism these days. But please do let me know if you are pregnant. I'll be interested in hearing how you got into that fix.