Monday, March 02, 2009

Evolution

I'm currently solo-parenting while Christopher is in DC on a business trip. I think the fact that I hadn't even MENTIONED this fact to you, oh Internet, before now, says a lot about how things have changed since one year ago when Christopher attended this same conference.

I will say just this: being the only parent on-duty for a few days with two children ages two and four is much easier than being the only parent on-duty for a few days with two children ages one and three. I mean, think about it: last year at this time Genevieve was still nursing. It was not guaranteed safe or feasible to leave the girls unattended and playing by themselves while I bathed. Baby gates were still necessary. No one could reach the sink by themselves.

Life now is vastly different. Of course, last year I was also extremely sick when Christopher was gone for this conference--necessitating all sorts of nightmarish endeavors like three clinic appointments and a weekend call to a doctor friend--a VACATIONING doctor friend--to get desperation pharmaceuticals. It all ended, eventually, with an ER visit after a bad tetanus-shot reaction due to the antibiotics I was taking at the time. GAH! I know: terrible. But it's not just that I'm healthy this time. The girls are easier. They are getting older; life is getting incrementally easier.

However. Now that I've said all that, I will also say this: it is nearly 8:30 p.m. and no one is asleep yet, and I am ingesting my weight in chocolate ice cream. I have been into the nursery three times to talk to Genevieve about her ridiculous singing, calling, and whining. All I want is a moment of peace, but there's no one else here to answer her calls. We've got to do it all again tomorrow. But we'll make it. We're all a little bit older; we're a little more capable. We could stand to be slightly better sleepers, though.

3 comments:

Christopher Tassava said...

I'm glad things are easier, but that bedtime stinks. No prize for her! At that rate, I might be home tomorrow night before she's asleep!

Mom and Kiddo said...

It's amazing how things change. This is the first summer my husband won't have a week long business trip and all I can say is THANK GOD.

Mnmom said...

Things DO change, don't they? I spent a summer solo parenting with 3-yr-old twins while John was away during the week. It was actually kind of relaxing. But then again, I've probably repressed the horror of it. It WAS the summer the twins cut their hair off.