Monday, March 30, 2009

I Miss 3.5" Floppy Disks

Our "good" laptop came back from Apple today, all fixed but with its hard-drive wiped out. That means that the column for my new writing job--the column that I spent most of a recent Saturday morning writing, and which is due soon--is gone forever. Christopher backs up everything on our computer onto a zip drive once a week, but it just so happened that the laptop died the morning after I finished my column, before it could be saved anywhere else. I'm giving myself 24 hours to wallow in self-pity and dismay before trying to recreate the piece (which isn't likely; I have almost no memory of what I wrote).

This is not helping my mood.

6 comments:

Question said...

Holy Hannah, your layout changed.

One of my biggest fears is losing data so I'm a little anal about backups. If you're going to be doing more freelance work, I recommend using mozy.com (up to the Internet). Cheap and reliable. You don't even know that it is running most of the time and now you can retrieve your data from any computer.

Shan said...

I will have to look into that for sure. Thanks, Question. Sigh...

donna said...

I was gonna suggest google docs, since you're already a blogger user. We use google docs to share documents between us. And like, Question's suggestion, you can access it from any internet connection.

Christopher Tassava said...

Speaking from reasonable knowledege about your computer habits, I don't think you'll enjoy using Mozy or Google Docs (though both are great). I'm bringing home a little thumb drive that you can use to back up everything every day. Ten seconds.

latisha said...

we have to get our main computer 'scrubbed' and im so afraid. i backed up as much as could fit but need another drive...so scary.

Shan said...

Latisha, I could honestly cry. The essay I lost took a lot of time to write and I was really happy with it. It feels hopeless to try to write it again. I could have lost lots more, though, I guess. It just seems so unfair. I was going to get paid for those hours of writing!