Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Big News

A few months ago, I turned some anger, angst, and shock over a failed friendship into a very cathartic 1400-word essay called "The Mommy Wars Killed Our Friendship: Letter to a Former Friend," and sent it to an editor who was soliciting submissions for an anthology to be published in October '09 by Seal Press. The book's working title is Girl Talk: 25 Open Letters to Our Female Friends, and over the weekend I was informed that my essay has been chosen for it.

Here is where you can picture me jumping up and down, screaming with joy.

My entire life, underneath everything else I've ever done, I've dreamed of being a writer. However, in my younger days, I never really verbalized it or even thought about it that much, because I considered published writers to be rare, genius individuals, both lucky and talented beyond comprehension. It wasn't anything I seriously thought a normal person like me could ever be. Still, one of my top-five lifetime dreams has always been to be published in an actual book by a legitimate publishing company, a book that anyone out there could buy at a bookstore or from Amazon.com. Now I am pinching myself in disbelief and euphoria.

When I told my four-year-old my good news, she was thrilled and awed. She said, "You're going to be a REAL AUTHOR?" She knows all about authors, from her nursery school's "Author of the Month" lessons. "Oh, Mama," Julia said. "That is just SO EXCITING."

It occurs to me that my two greatest dreams were to one day be a mother and a writer, and now I am both. There's nothing that can ever take away the thrill of that fact.

15 comments:

Question said...

I'm doing a happy dance for you. Cheers to fulfilling your dreams.

donna said...

Congratulations! That is fantastic news.

Elise said...

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on making your dreams come true! We are so happy for you!

Mnmom said...

YAY!! YAY!!! YAY!!!!!!!
Three cheers for you!

(We share the same dream. That's what my blog is. A test balloon!)

YAY!!! YAY!!!!! YEE-HAH!!!!!

Congratulations!

By the way - it's not luck - it's talent and perseverance. Both of which you have in spades.

Lori said...

Yay! Good for you! Congratulations!

Rob Hardy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

Rob Hardy said...

P.S. MNMom is right about it not being luck.

Mom said...

I KNEW you'd get there one day. And I am sure there are many more bylines in your future. Imagine my pride!

Missy said...

This news definitely deserved to be a "cliff hanger" in yesterday's post. Have your feet yet touched the ground?

Congratulations!

Mom and Kiddo said...

Congratulations!

Shan said...

You all are so sweet to be so excited with me. And no, my feet haven't yet touched the ground! :)

latisha said...

you are an inspiration. major congrats, and a tiny bit of jealousy - the good kind. im so happy for you!

latisha said...

oh and a wonderful bit of retribution that THIS is the one that was published. the cosmos are telling you you did the right thing and nothing wrong.

Shan said...

Latisha, thank you. Believe me, that last fact is not lost on me. Nor on my editor, who had a few reactions of her own.