Thursday, March 12, 2009

Updates: Vinegar, Bedtime, My Diet Coke Addiction. ETC.

People, I miss my Diet Coke. I gave it up two weeks ago, to save money on the grocery bill, and I swear to you, since then I've been tired, irritable, and have gained five pounds. Seriously! I told you about those five pounds, didn't I? Well, I now blame them on lack of Diet Coke. That and continued disgust at the thought of running ANY MORE MILES in sub-zero windchills, combined with over-consumption of foods that are bad for my body but momentarily soothing to my soul.

Honestly, people, it's not pretty.

But I'm going to be published in a book! So who cares about all that other stuff!

In other news, vinegar is a great, cheap household cleaner. I'm pleased so far. It makes me feel very pioneer-ish. Very noble and eco-responsible, very financially empowered. Because, you know, it's not about the $20,000 of your hard-earned money you've just lost out of your 401K in the past calendar year due to Wall Street greed and ineptitude, it's saving $2.50 on Lysol. The baking soda, though? It doesn't get my kitchen sink as clean as Comet did. And Comet is cheap. But, I like the idea of natural cleaning products, so I'll probably stick with it.

Oh, people, the bedtime screaming. The screaming and screaming and screaming. It makes a person want to poke one's own eye out with a stick. Or anyone else's eye that might be handy. I'm just saying.

I can tell that if this problem is going to be attacked in any calm and/or organized manner (after 11 months! Way to go, proactive parents!), it's going to have to be by me; don't question me--it just is. My plan is to start sitting with Genevieve until she falls asleep at night, right by her crib, within seeing and touching distance. Then, every night thereafter, I'll move slightly farther away from her bed, still sitting until she falls asleep. Over a period of days, I'll gradually move myself right out of the room. Of course, this means I will have to devote my evenings, for awhile, to sitting motionless and silent in a dark room for whatever length of time it takes for the baby to fall asleep. I won't be exercising, bathing, reading, watching TV, writing, or eating ice cream. (Maybe I'll lose those five pounds again!) But it's what needs to be done. However, I'm hesitant to start right away because I have an evening meeting coming up in a week or so, and I'm afraid the process won't be finished by then. I have to be here to do it every night until it's done. Which, you know, is kind of a big fat bummer.

But the book! The essay in the book! Makes EVERYTHING BETTER.

Although I wouldn't turn down a lifetime supply of free Diet Coke, a toddler who sleeps, or a miracle cure for those %$#&@ five pounds.

6 comments:

Mnmom said...

Congrats on everything, except the 5lbs and the screaming toddler. Honestly Shan, you can USE those 5 lbs. You'd have frozen to death this week without them.

The nighttime plan will probably work. I used a booklight and read during some of it. And I still go to bed with Lina almost every night at 8:30 and read to her.

I have given up all soda, diet and regular. I find that my skin is much more behaved without it. And I have avoided caffeine since 1999. You can do it!

Mnmom said...

PS - your column was great!

donna said...

Yes, I agree that you should wait until after your upcoming evening meeting before beginning the new bedtime routine. Because, knowing G, she will NOT have it down before the night of the meeting - just because she'll know that you want her to.

Rob Hardy said...

I heard a rumor that you're going to be published in a book!:-)

Shan said...

Just imagine how much more you're going to hear about THE BOOK when it actually comes out in October!

donna said...

Book? What book?
(wink)