Sunday, March 01, 2009

The Vinegar Chronicles

OK, so I am dorkily excited to begin cleaning with vinegar rather than expensive household cleaners. Have you been following my personal enlightenment, via my helpful readers, regarding the use of vinegar as an economical household cleaning product? Today at the grocery store Christopher bought a giant jug of white vinegar for $1.97. This is substantially cheaper than the bottles of Lysol I usually buy, and will go much farther as well. Christopher also bought a couple of plastic spray bottles, which I filled half-and-half with vinegar and water, so--I'm all set. (He bought extra baking soda, too, for scouring.) Do you know how thrilled I am to embark upon a far less expensive cleaning regimen than my previous use of various sprays, powders, and foams? A little too excited, possibly. (Are you starting to think I've been a housewife too long?) Of course, I'll keep all of you posted on the final analysis of vinegar as cleaning solution. I'm sure you'll be holding your breath.

But, of course, the substitution of white vinegar for Lysol is not a sufficient money-saving move to make up for $900 less in monthly income. Which is why I'm going to write a best-selling book about adventures in and survival strategies for happy stay-at-home-momhood. You'd read it, right?

4 comments:

Mnmom said...

I'm an tenterhooks until the results come in. Actually I've always been a Bon Ami girl - nice and abrasive without the harsh chemicals. But what about the bathtub??? In our northern neck-o-the-woods that soap scum is like lichens!

Mom and Kiddo said...

I feel nervous! Like before a big audition.

Anonymous said...

I would totally read that book!

Question said...

Saw this and thought of you:

http://www.kottke.org/09/03/the-miracle-liquid