Tuesday, March 03, 2009

What I Said Before? Forget It.

Remember how last night I said being home alone with the children while my husband is on a business trip isn't so hard? Um, never mind. I don't know what I was thinking. Two- and four-year-olds are freaking TIRING! I'm exhausted! By lunchtime today I had mostly stopped speaking in order to conserve energy necessary for things like putting a meal on the table, and Julia responded by gazing at me skeptically and saying, "I guess taking care of two kids is hard." (You think?)

And now NO ONE IS NAPPING! I'm exhausted, people! They didn't sleep until nine o'clock last night! I've been dusting, doing laundry, supervising drag-out screaming fights over baby dolls and sleeping bags, making homemade pizza dough, playing in the snow, to- and fro-ing to nursery school and toddler class, cooking, feeding the cat, paying bills, setting up art projects, taking phone calls, making beds, changing diapers, wiping bottoms, and playing "birthday party" with them for two days straight, and I can't even get one measly hour of nap today in order to, I don't know, rest?

OK, it's still easier than when they were one and three, but....that's not to say it's easy.

Did I mention that I have recently GIVEN UP DIET COKE in an effort to save on groceries? What am I, a total masochist?

5 comments:

Mnmom said...

Super Chill pop at CUB is mighty tasty! I'm free right now, want company?

Shan said...

Mnmom, you'll be getting a call from me shortly! Save me from my afternoon!

Mom and Kiddo said...

I notice that Julia makes a lot of insightful comments about having kids.

Question said...

Even though I bought a house and lived in it by myself before I met J, I am amazed by how much I am missing his contributions to the household chores right now. Dishes, garbage, recycling, washing the sheets/towels, scooping litter, and feeding the cats all fell to him. Now it is all me, all the time and I'm not giving up my diet coke.

donna said...

My kids don't go to sleep as well when we're out or even if one of us is gone at bedtime. I guess it throws off their routine.

Boy do I LOVE those weeks where my husband works every night and then comes home right after the kids are in bed. (NOT.)