Wednesday, March 04, 2009

You Need an Advanced Degree to Own a King-Sized Bed

At nine this morning, I realized that I'd been up for 2-1/2 hours and had basically been changing the sheets that entire time. OK, I exaggerate a bit, but I have this ongoing struggle with our newish king-sized bed. It takes me an inordinate amount of time to change the sheets on it, because I can never figure out which direction the clean sheets are supposed to go. Does anyone else have this problem? See, the thing is, king-sized mattresses are almost square. There's no obvious orientation to the fitted sheets, because the sides are so similar in length. It doesn't help that our all-cotton king-sized sheets have shrunk a bit in the wash as well, so neither direction fits with complete ease. I end up putting the fitted sheet on one way, looking at it with puzzlement and noting the odd stretching and pulling, and thinking, Oops, nope, that's not right. Turn it around. Then I take it off, rotate the corners a quarter-turn, and try it again. Only to bite my lip and furrow my brow at the resulting strained and puckered sheet seams, and think, What? Guess that's not right after all! Must be the first way. So then I start all over again with the sheet the way it was before. THIS CAN GO ON FOR HOURS.

And you wondered what stay-at-home moms do all day.

3 comments:

Mnmom said...

OK, here's what you do.
First, when you have the sheet on correctly you put a safety pin on the corner of the head side on your side of the bed. Make sense? Then you always start with that corner.

OR you buy striped sheets.

Also, this is the way my hotel-owning Grandma taught me - you do opposite corners first. Then the other two opposite corners last. It does make the sheet stretch out nicer.

I have to get a hobby.

donna said...

Mnmom beat me to it. I was going to suggest you mark (by sewing at tag, marking with a pen or putting on a pin) one specified corner on your sheets. Or, to buy a pattern that is directional (like stripes).

I also always fold my sheets lengthwise first because then I know when I unfold it, I already know which direction they go. (Which shouldn't surprise you since you know I'm anal like that.)

Mom and Kiddo said...

I have also noticed that about king sized sheets. I'm too lazy to do anything about it. I just put it on and hope for the best.