Friday, April 10, 2009

Out-of-Town Holiday-Weekend Trip Update: Day/Night #1

Today we drove 300 miles north to my flooded hometown, for our traditional Easter-weekend visit to the grandparents. We left at noon. Both girls were yawning uncontrollably. Despite a nearly six-hour drive, no one napped in the car. Much whining ensued. The questions "Where Mo'head?" and "Where Nonna and Boppa's house?" were repeated approximately 600 times. Mama nearly poked her own eye out. Julia developed either a sudden head cold or a massive allergy attack, and spent at least 200 miles sniffling and sneezing uncontrollably. At minute 49 of the road trip, she said, "Boy, I sure hope we're almost there. This is a long drive!" Children were bribed with extra snacks and nearly two hours of laptop-played downloaded episodes of "Teletubbies," "Super-Why," and "Barney." Upon our arrival at the grandparents' house, when bedtime rolled around, Genevieve was put to bed in an experimental toddler bed, where she proceeded to scream deafeningly until we took her out of the room so Julia could go to sleep. Because we are desperate, the house is very cramped, and there is nothing else to do with her if she insists on screaming in the bedroom, she is currently up, playing with toys (!) in the living room, even though it is way past her bedtime, she is totally exhausted (remember: no nap), and her older sister is asleep. Thirty nights of sleep-training undone by one road trip. 

I am seriously considering never traveling with children again. Don't take it personally, parents who travel with their children, but right now I am filled with a seething rage toward people whose CHILDREN ACTUALLY SLEEP. I kind of hate you right now. No, actually: not "kind of." Just hate. Sorry. I may feel differently in, oh, ten years or so.

4 comments:

Tricia said...

I think I'd be reaching for the children's nyquil right now...it's only one weekend. A little "encouragement" might help.

Shan said...

Tricia: Seriously!!! I'm thinking children's Benadryl myself....

Mnmom said...

Then I'm your best friend because my kids were EXACTLY like that! Trips were hell at bedtime, and no naps, and the general cranky out-of-element factor.

My cousin always said that little dose of Benadryl in the car was for EVERYONE's safety.

Shan said...

Mnmom, thank GOD I know people like you, with experiences just like mine. Otherwise I might just snap.