Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Rhubarb, You Idiots.

The other day I bit the bullet and registered Genevieve for preschool. In case you haven't been following along, the question of whether to send Genevieve to preschool next year--when she only turns three at the end of the summer--has been dogging me for weeks. In the end, I started panicking that August would arrive and Genevieve would be more than ready--not to mention continuing to test every ounce of patience I have, thus causing me to yearn for any kind of respite from all-day toddlerhood--and the class would be full. Can you imagine the slapping of the forehead that would occur?

So I wrote out the nonrefundable registration-fee check and hoped for the best. Of course, as soon as I turned in her registration form, Genevieve suddenly began seeming as baby-like as possible for a 2-1/2-year-old, sucking on her fingers all the time and crying during parent-child separation at early-childhood class and firmly ensconced in things like diapers and her crib. Then there's her lingering unintelligible baby speech, which is adorable in its own way but results in situations like the one we experienced recently, when Genevieve pronounced "rhubarb" so much like "blue ball" that it took us DAYS to realize which part of an afternoon outdoor-playdate she was actually trying to talk about (discovering the first shoots poking up in the garden): RHUBARB, we said to each other with deep sighs when we finally figured it out. Not blue ball. RHUBARB! Too bad so much wailing and gnashing of teeth had to occur in the meantime, before we realized our mistake. Poor Genevieve! Can you imagine being so chronically misunderstood?

Well. We have a whole summer ahead of us, one that I hope to God is an easier one than last, with fewer tantrums and less crying (them), and also fewer urges to open a bottle of wine at, say, noon (me. not that I ever did. but I thought about it.). Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Mnmom said...

Hate to say it, but 15 years later we're still waiting for that moment.

latisha said...

hahahahaha! oh and about the wine. ive done it.