Wednesday, April 08, 2009

What-to-Do Wednesdays: Breadstick Snails

I got this idea out of a recent Parents magazine. It's about as easy a "cooking" project as you can get, but every stay-at-home mom (and probably every working mom too) knows that sometimes simple is all you can handle, particularly on those days when it's too cold and windy to play outside and the toddler hasn't napped and you've already played "pretend birthday party," read books, done puzzles, colored, danced, and constructed a blanket tent--and you've STILL got time to fill. Plus, my two-year-old and four-year-old LOVED doing it. They each ate one for afternoon snack, but these would also be good alongside soup for a quick lunch.

Breadstick Snails

Ingredients:

1 can refrigerated breadstick dough (i.e. Pillsbury)
Prepared pesto, marinara sauce, or garlic butter (optional)
Tiny slivers of carrot or shredded cheese

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Unroll the breadstick dough into long strips on a cutting board or other large surface. Help child spread each stick with pesto, sauce, or butter (or just leave plain). Let child roll dough up into a snail shell shape, tucking end under to make a head. Secure with toothpicks.


Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove toothpicks and let cool.


Before serving, poke holes into each snail "head" and insert slivers of carrot or cheese to make antennae (sorry; not shown in photo above).

Cute!

4 comments:

Mnmom said...

I love it!
This week, Lina made an entire batch of cookies, start to finish, on her own!!!
I was remembering this week those long, long stroller walks that would go about one block, feel like 6 hours, and when we came home I'd find we'd killed only 20 minutes.

donna said...

Oooh! This sounds like fun. I'm totally stealing this idea from you!

And thanks for posting pictures!!

Mom and Kiddo said...

I am all about the simplicity-thing.

Mary McAndrew said...

Hi Shannon, these are really cute! I study and draw nature and snails seem to be a popular subject of mine. I also like baking and sometimes do creative things. I'll have to try this sometime, I think garlic butter in them sounds yummy.
thanks for posting.