Saturday, June 13, 2009

First Farm-Share Meal


For three years, Christopher and I waited to get into a CSA (Community-Supported Agriculture) farm in our area. This year, we're off the waiting list and into a farm-share! To start off our CSA adventure, this summer we're splitting the share with some friends, in order to get a feel for the amount of produce provided, how much our kids will eat, and how best to prevent fresh vegetables from rotting away in the crisper drawer before we can get to them. But I imagine this is probably the first in a long line of CSA summers for our family, and no doubt as the girls get bigger, we'll one day buy our own full share for the summer and easily consume the bounty.

Last Saturday I prepared our first farm-share meal of the season: Crustless Greens Quiche, herb oat bread, and a spring mix salad. As early shares are mainly greens, lettuces, and salad fixings such as scallions, salad turnips, and radishes, we're concentrating on leafy meals these days. But that's OK; it's what the land dictates we eat in early summer. Later on, we'll be up to our knees in berries, tomatoes, peaches, peas, and beans. All in good time.

I know I posted this recipe once before, but it's worth reprising for any new readers. The quiche is wonderfully easy and tasty, although I will warn you that, while last summer my girls wolfed it down, this time neither would eat it. So I can't guarantee the kid-friendliness of this particular dish. However, it's mainly eggs and cheese, so if your babes can get beyond the dark green leafy vegetables enveloped inside, they might gobble it up. As for mine, I'm hoping they'll come around. Note: you can make this quiche with any cooking greens: Swiss chard, beet tops, bok choy, kale, spinach, salad turnip greens, etc. They are generally interchangeable. (I used a mixture of bok choy, turnip greens, and mizuma.)

Crustless Greens Quiche
Serves 4 (can easily be doubled and baked in 2 pie plates)

1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 bunch cooking greens (Swiss chard, kale, beet greens, bok choy, mizuma, tatsoi, etc.)
1 to 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (adjust amount to own taste)
4 eggs
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash/dry greens and cut off any very woody stems. Roughly chop the rest. Heat oil in wide skillet; add onion and greens. Saute until stems are tender (roughly 5 minutes). Add salt and pepper to taste.

Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add milk and shredded cheese. Fold in vegetable mixture. Add additional salt and pepper if needed. Pour into oiled pie dish and bake 35-45 minutes, or until top is golden brown and no liquid seeps out when poked with a knife.

9 comments:

Christopher Tassava said...

As a grownup, I can vouch for this being FANTASTIC. I mean, Shannon does incredible things with eggs generally, but this is up at the top of the egg-dish list.

Mom and Kiddo said...

Yum. I love making frittatas with random veggies.

donna said...

BTW, it's mizuna. Not mizuma.

Shan said...

Ah, but it can be called either mizuma OR mizuna, did you know that? Tricky. I think Donna is more correct though in that it seems it is more often called mizuna.

Shan said...

Or, I should clarify, perhaps mizuna is correct, but one sees mizuma written all over the place too. I thought it was mizuma b/c that's what my CSA newsletter said, but I have looked it up online now and find recipes using both words.

donna said...

The Japanese word is mizuna and is not interchangable with mizuma (in Japanese).

I did not know that American English uses it both ways.

Shan said...

I don't know--I've just seen both words in various recipes/cookbooks. Perhaps half of us have it wrong. ;)

Shan said...

OK: If anyone still care--I just saw the Good Housekeeping Cookbooks dictionary of greens entry and it uses "mizuma," then says, "also called mizuna, a word of Japanese origin."

Mystery solved??? ;)

donna said...

I think this is a case of language evolving. The name is originally from Japanese: mizuna. However, it seems that both mizuna and mizuma are both used in American sources.

I didn't mean this to be a big deal. When I made the first comment, I didn't know that it was sometimes called mizuma because it is always called mizuna here.

(And now, I wish I could have some mizuna. Mmmm.)