Sunday, June 28, 2009

Oh Good Lord That Was Hard

I know I'm late to the party, but today I started doing the 30 Day Shred. Do you know about that? It's a fitness DVD by the hardcore trainer Jillian Michaels (of NBC's The Biggest Loser fame), and it's been all the rage for, like, a year or something. (I don't really know.) It's supposed to kick your ass, but it's only 20 minutes long. So, you may feel like you're dying, but you know that in less than 20 minutes you'll either be done, or dead, so...you can do that, right?

The gimmick is that you DO IT EVERY DAY FOR A MONTH. Every day, people! Wow. Are you wondering what is wrong with me? Well, I've been working out twice per week (in addition to my runs) to the same strength-training DVD for a year and a half. Before that, I worked out twice a week to my other strength-training DVD for a year and a half. Can you see how I might be a bit bored? I've been meaning to buy myself a new workout DVD for a long time. Now, since I'm in the throes of toddler-bedtime-routine-hell and have been missing most of my evening runs, it seems like an advantageous time to commit to an exercise program that is short, at-home, and--to stem the tide of flabbiness that occurs when you miss all your runs for two weeks and spend most of your evening hours sedentary on the nursery-hallway floor--requires daily effort. So, yes, I may be crazy, but I'm good for a solid try. I figure I can do the DVD every afternoon when I put the girls down for their naps.

You won't mind if you see me later in the day and I look a bit....disheveled, will you? Because I can't promise, after getting my ass kicked on a daily basis, that I'll have the energy to actually pull myself together again afterward. But hey! In 30 days, I'll be able to carry both girls at the same time (a combined 63 pounds), while also running around the block and kicking a soccer ball. Not that I would ever have any reason to be doing that.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: