Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Tantrum Nation

Yesterday I determinedly woke Genevieve up two hours into her afternoon nap rather than the usual three, so suddenly motivated was I to experience a toddler bedtime that was earlier than my own. It didn't happen, but I figured it would take a few days to catch up with her, and that if I keep limiting her naps to some duration shorter than what she normally takes on her own, eventually she'll give in and get tired at, say, 7 or 8 p.m. rather than 9:30. Keep the faith, mama.

Except today she threw such a raging tantrum at lunchtime--triggered by her demand for a PB and honey sandwich for lunch after I'd already made three fried-egg sandwiches, thank you very much, and quickly joined by her big sister's likewise tantrum over the fact that Genevieve got a PB and honey sandwich (I gave in, attempting to pick my battles) but SHE still had to eat the egg sandwich [note: Julia had already had PB for both breakfast and preschool snack, so cry me a river], and resulting in me actually picking up my plate, leaving the table, and going upstairs to eat my lunch alone sitting on the cedar chest at the foot of the guest room bed, accompanied the maniacal soundtrack of preschoolers screaming from the lower level of the house, because why? Why should I sit at the table with two banshees screaming bloody murder right in my face about their egg sandwiches; Why?--that, well, I'll be damned if I'm going to wake ANYONE up early from nap today.

You all just sleep the rest of the afternoon, babies. My shift starts again at 7 p.m. and I'm agitating to unionize. These working conditions SUCK.

5 comments:

donna said...

Yeah. That does suck.

I wish I had better words for you than giving you suggestions (that might come off as being judgmental, which it is totally not intended to be!). But, if you want to bounce ideas, let me know. I'll always listen and be honest with you.

Hang in there. Hugs.

Mom and Kiddo said...

OMG I will join that union.

Mnmom said...

I can't give suggestions because I used to work in that place, and the conditions sucked then too. Leaving the room is a very good idea. So are ear plugs.

Shan said...

OMG, earplugs would be a great idea. ;)

By the way, both girls slept until 4:15 WHEN I WOKE THEM UP. Nearly 4 hour naps, thank you very much. And yes, I know I screwed myself over regarding the evening/bedtime. But good Lord--the tantrums. And by the way, what kids nap for 4 hours? Especially a 5 year old?

Mnmom said...

Here's my dirty little parenting secret. Sometimes I DID put on earmuffs when they were tantruming, and it made them even more mad, but I'm certain it saved thin slices of my hearing and my sanity.