Thursday, July 09, 2009

Genevieve Says Daddy's in "Hogan Wings."

The girls and I have been keeping ourselves extremely busy while Daddy's on his trip to Saratoga Springs. (Two days down, two to go.) Of course, there have been swimming lessons every morning, which have continued to coincide with the most unseasonable, cool/cloudy/rainy weather imaginable (uh, who worries about temps in the 50s and 60s for swimming lessons in JULY, people?). Genevieve and I were thrilled when, on Tuesday, Julia had her first tears-free lesson. As my friend Lori said, hooray for small victories! Yesterday she even dared to put her face in the water. Amazing! Too bad it took two weeks.

As for Genevieve, she's a water baby, and was truly sad when I took her to her final (weekly) swimming lesson on Tuesday night. (Yes, we had one kid's swimming lesson in the a.m. and the other's in the evening that day. Have I mentioned how TIRED I am?)

Aside from swimming, or should I say "swimming," we've been house-and-cat-sitting for our best friends, playing at the park, chalk-drawing on the driveway, riding bikes, planting flowers, visiting Julia's old and Genevieve's probable new preschool, cooking and baking (strawberry shortcake! yum!), running errands, going to the library, and enjoying an impromptu brief visit from my mom, who caught a ride down to our town with a friend to keep us company for a day or so. Since she took us out to Wendy's yesterday and bought the girls essentially their first-ever "happy meal"-type lunches, she's pretty much a goddess in their minds.

Today, after Julia's last swimming lesson and my mom's departure, we've got on tap a quick grocery-store run (you know, for the essentials: half-and-half for my coffee, espresso beans, ice cream), a visit to the bookstore to pick up the first volume in the Mercy Watson series for Julia, a bribe promised early last week if she completed her eight swimming lessons, more house-and-cat-sitting, possibly an after-dinner foray downtown to check out the weekly outdoor music at the town square. Of course, somewhere in there I've got to complete my second day of Level 2 of the 30-Day Shred (day 12 altogether), but since yesterday my first Level 2 experience killed me, I don't see how that will be possible. I'm actually dead right now. I'm writing this from my grave, where I am contemplating how much my quadriceps hurt. Here are some thoughts that ran through my head yesterday during my workout:

"How is that even possible."

"Is she kidding me?"

"I'm dying. I'm dead right now."

"No human being can actually do that. This must be computer-generated."

"Even the instructor-helpers are cheating and drenched in sweat!"

"Oh my God, this is CRAZY."

So, there you have it. If I make it through the entire 30 days, it will be a miracle.

4 comments:

Mom and Kiddo said...

Man, I feel exhausted just reading about your activities! AND your doing the 30 day shred?
My son LOVES Mercy Watson, btw.

Lori said...

She's not even DOING THE EXERCISES. How can she be so smug?

I'm sort of enjoying the camaraderie of it, though.

Shan said...

I honestly think to myself, "I don't think human beings can actually do that" more than once each time I do Level 2 of the workout, Lori.

Trish said...

Alright so I've been inspired! I have done about 6 days of level one...I thought boring. So I gave up. Just like that w/out even trying the 2nd level...sooo....I'm going to do it. Whoo...tonight. I will let you know how it goes!