Sunday, July 05, 2009

Shred Me

So I'm sure many of you--at the very least, Lori--are wondering how I am surviving the 30 Day Shred. Am I right? After all, I've been doing it for a full week now--and yes, I did do it every single day! Ouch!

I'm still on Level 1, the easiest level. And by easiest, I mean "not easy at all, but presumably easier than the other two levels, either of which could probably kill you." Since there are three levels, and the gimmick is to do the workout every day for 30 days, I presume most people do each level for 10 days. That means I have three more days at the first level, and people, I am getting scared. Because I have been poking around online, reading other people's blog accounts of doing the Shred, and the transition to Level 2 seems to be a little, um...how should I put this?...shocking, painful, and horrific. You know: quotes like, "Oh my God, Level 2 is so much harder than Level 1 I thought I would DIE", and "Compared to Level 2, Level 1 is like lying in a hammock sipping lemonade while someone else feeds you warm chocolate chip cookies."

OK, maybe I made up those two quotes, but THAT WAS THE GENERAL IDEA.

All right then, so how is it really? Well, I may be the only person in the history of the world not losing weight on the 30 Day Shred. I seem to be ravenous all the time, and though I'm consciously trying to eat fewer sweets than usual (uh, excepting the giant 4th of July potluck bash we went to yesterday, because hello, ROOT BEER FLOATS. Also S'Mores bars. I'm not a machine!), that generally has meant I'm eating quite a lot of other things, which though they may be healthier for me, are not contributing to any successful weight loss efforts. However, this is fine, because I'm not really looking to lose weight (though those five pounds I regained six months after weaning Miss Crabby-Pants would not be missed, should they make a sudden departure). Also, I swear to God, my arms are noticeably more buff. Yes, after one week. It's ALL THOSE NONSTOP PUSH-UPS, GOOD LORD THE PUSH-UPS. SO INCREDIBLY HARD.

Ahem.

Anyway, it's only been a week, so I'll get back to you later about hard data results in the way of pounds and inches. You want to know, don't you? I know you do.

I will say this. Doing the workout did get substantially easier as the week went on, but that's not to say it's gotten easy. I still have to do most of the "beginner" modifications during the exercises (i.e., I can't do a "real" push-up; I do the knees-down kind), and last night I could not go up or down the stairs without whimpering (ibuprofen is my friend).

Did I mention how terrified I am of Level 2?

Pray for me on Wednesday.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Frankly, this scares me way less than the 5am toddler screaming, though the weight loss thing concerns me. After all, wasn't it you who got me hooked in PB M & M's? Thanks alot.

My copy is arriving in the Amazon shipment tomorrow. Then...I will feel your pain (no, literally)!

Shan said...

I know, Lori! I think I've actually gained a couple of pounds! Now THAT is depressing! And no, I have not even been eating peanut butter M&Ms! (mmmmmm.....)

However, I'm pressing on. Maybe all the weight will drop in the last 20 days. ;)