Friday, July 31, 2009

Shred THIS.


Lately, since the end of the 30 Day Shred on Monday to be specific, I've been sitting around eating a lot of chocolate and enjoying the luxury of not being drenched in a ridiculous amount of sweat every single day. It's nice. You know you've been exercising too hard when your regular five-to-six-mile run--which used to kick your ass each and every time--feels like a cake-walk, because you're not also doing the goddamn Shred on the very same day. Ah, the living is easy, post-Jillian.

Don't worry; I'm not throwing all my hard work away. I didn't quit the Shred forever. But I did take a wee break, and now I'm going to resume those hard-core workouts on non-running days only. You know, so as not to risk death by plank-jacks again. One 30-Day challenge was enough for me. I came, I conquered, I set down my hand weights and picked up a bowl of peanut-butter-and-chocolate ice cream.

My new challenge is even tougher than anything Miss Jillian could throw my way, though. I'm trying really hard to be more patient with my daughters. So far it's not working at all, but I'm trying. Patience is not my strong suit, and let me tell you something, people--if there is one age range that will drag you down into the sucking mud of parenting, trying your patience beyond your wildest imaginings, it is ages two to five. Coincidentally, these are the ages of my own two children. (OK, so I've heard adolescence can kick two-to-five-years-old to the ground. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that yet.)

But the thing about patience is, it really does make you a better person, and a better parent. But it's a skill that does not come naturally to many of us, and it's an attribute that is most needed in the very moments that make it hardest to access. I'm down in the dirt, wrestling with my (im)patience these days, snapping at the meanderings of toddlers with shoes on the wrong feet, at the clock ticking away as each tiny task turns into a marathon of fussy uncooperativeness. I'm not a patient person. I'm struggling mightily here.

It makes the 30 Day Shred seem easy, fellow parents. You know exactly what I mean.

6 comments:

Mom and Kiddo said...

True. True. and True again. I don't need the Shred to kick my ass. A four year old -- who, by the way, is much more difficult to handle than a three year old -- can do that all by himself.

Mnmom said...

TOTALLY agree. Elementary school age (6-10) has been the easiest in my book. But 3-6 and 13-16 have been a struggle.

latisha said...

have you read Momma Zen??? you really really should. helped me soooo much, not that i have a clue what it feels like to have 2 by any means. but the patience stuff she's so good at.

Shan said...

Latisha, haven't yet, it's on my list! Sounds like I'd better get myself a copy FAST!

Donna said...

Shannon, as usual, we are in such the same place with our parenting.

I might have to check out the book Latisha suggested, as well!

latisha said...

you should!! and she's coming to minn for a momas retreat in october. totally worth attending if you can.

her blog of course is good stuff in the mean time

www.mommazen.blogspot.com