Tuesday, July 28, 2009

That Was an Awful Lot of Days.

Today is the first day in a full month that I will not be exercising. Hallelujah!

Yes, I completed the 30 Day Shred last night, and I didn't miss a day--which is a bit of a miracle, honestly. Some days the only time I had to work out was at 9:30 at night--and believe me, doing squat-jumps and traveling push-ups is not normally my activity of choice at 9:30 p.m. But I love setting challenging goals for myself and then meeting them come hell or high water. I'm pretty good at it.

So, now that the 30-day challenge is over (I plan to continue the workout--believe me, there is much progress still to be made--just not every day anymore), what's my ultimate take on it? Well, the 30 Day Shred was hard--really hard. Going into it, I was in good shape--running five to six miles, three times a week, and doing strength-training workouts twice a week--and yet, even at the easiest level during the first 10 days of the challenge, it totally kicked my ass. And when I moved up to Level 2 and then Level 3, I honestly wondered whether it was even possible to do some of the exercises. But each time I improved considerably over the ten days at each level. It was amazing to see such substantial and quick progress.

In the end, from day one to day 30, I lost a total of about three pounds and three and a half inches. This surprised me a little, because given how hard I was working (read: practically dying), I figured I'd pretty effortlessly drop an easy five pounds. But then I figured that, in order to lose weight, you're probably supposed to, like, alter your diet in some way. (Boring.) Anyway, since I lost a few inches and my arms, shoulders, back, and abs are much more toned than they were a month ago--not to mention the fact that I can now successfully complete even the hardest parts of the DVD--clearly I got results from pushing myself through all 30 days. I feel tighter and stronger in every way.

The hardest thing about doing the 30 Day Shred was the overarching tiredness I felt all month long. It wasn't the muscle fatigue that bothered me; it was the fact that much of the time I seriously craved a nap. It just wiped me out, which was a little crazy given the high-energy requirements of my day-to-day job. Let's just say being a stay-at-home mom to two children under six is not exactly conducive to doing a whole lot of resting. Also, as hard as I tried, I simply COULD NOT keep up my normal running mileage during the Shred. I wanted to, since the Shred is more strength work than cardio, but even at only 20 minutes per workout, the Shred is so hard my body just couldn't run all that much in addition. I missed my running, but it wasn't possible.

And now I am all done talking about Jillian Michaels and her crazy 30 Day Shred. If only I were done talking about whether or not to send Genevieve to preschool. Right?

3 comments:

Tricia said...

Hey Shan, congrats on the shred-a-thon!

RE: Genevieve and preschool...would it help in your decision-making to simply imagine you're looking back at this particular point in your life from a "future" Shannon's perspective?

It just strikes me sometimes that when we're flummoxed with a tough call we need to generate a sense of our older, wiser selves. Know what I mean?

Like, what would the Shannon of two or three years - or even one year - say to the Shannon of today?

A lot of people have told you that your decision is unique and your own (your = you and C.). Perhaps you need to consult with your highers self?

Ok, does that sound nuts?!?!

Mom and Kiddo said...

Congratulations on a vigorous 30 days! Truthfully, I can't believe how motivated you are to have finished such a workout. It's all I can do to motivate myself to haul my weary body from the couch to the bed at night.

I haven't been commenting lately due to summer laziness and all that but I have following your 30 day workout chronicles and now am fascinated to watch the video. Note: "watch" not "do".

Shan said...

I hear ya, Mom and Kiddo. It IS fascinating. You know instinctively that it's way too hard for you. Then you become obsessed with trying to do it. ;)

To Tricia--the problem with looking into the future is that it is my whole problem. If I knew for sure that Genevieve would not be ready for kindergarten 2 weeks after she turns 5, I'd have no problem holding off a year on starting preschool (b/c she'd have 3 more years before K). If I knew for sure she'll be ready for K in 2 years, I'd have no problem starting her in preschool (b/c I think 2 years of co-op, low-key preschool for Julia was integral in getting her ready for K). You see what I mean?