Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Yes, I'm Still Cooking: Zucchini Raisin-Bran Bread

I made this zucchini bread recipe over the weekend. I did it alone, while the girls were busy on a bike ride with Christopher, but it would be a great baking activity with small children: lots of easy measuring, dumping and stirring, with delicious results at the end.

My friend Laura requested the recipe, because she'd heard I'd done a fair amount of improvising with the original recipe, which called for copious amounts of oil and white flour, and also some things I did not have on hand (bran, walnuts), and she was curious how it all turned out. Here's what I came up with. Please note: this recipe makes TWO loaves of bread (standard 9 x 5-inch loaf pans). Also, I am determined to reduce the sugar next time I make this recipe, but since I have not yet experimented with that, I'm including here the original sugar amount. Don't have a heart attack--remember, it's for two loaves. But still.

Zucchini Raisin-Bran Bread

Ingredients:
3 large eggs
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 T. vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
4 cups (about 2 large) grated zucchini (no need to peel, remember)
1-1/4 cups white flour
1-1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup raisin-bran cereal
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
2/3 cup sliced almonds (or chopped walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.

In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla, oil, and yogurt, then gently stir in the zucchini.

In another bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Scrape the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened. Divide between prepared pans. Bake 40-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of loaf comes out clean. (Watch carefully to prevent over-browning!) Let sit in pans for 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to cool. Cool completely before slicing.

9 comments:

Question said...

When your kids are older, you need to hire yourself out as a personal chef.
Seriously. People pay big bucks for what you do.

(J has always said that if we were rich, the first thing we would do is hire a personal chef.)

Shan said...

That would be awesome. But, I don't cook fancy; I cook regular old "family food." I can't believe anyone would pay for someone to cook from scratch if it weren't gourmet-level cooking...

latisha said...

alright girly you are going to town!! another fav of ours, you have to try this, is chocolate zucchini bread.

Shan said...

Chocolate zucchini bread! Latisha, you have to post the recipe!!!

latisha said...

ill send it to you. dont seem to have much time for blogging as id like.

Mnmom said...

I have a great recipe for chocolate zucchini cake. Want me to email it?

And yes, people pay a LOT of money for good home cooked food. I sent away for information on becoming a personal chef and it's not that hard.

Shan said...

I have a feeling one day Mnmom and I are going to go into business together....Just give me a couple more years so these girls can get into school for real, Margaret.... ;) (And sure, I'd love your choc-zuke bread recipe too!)

Laura said...

Shannon,
More than a month after this posting, I finally made this--mostly according to your recipe. The result was delightful! It has a light texture, like cake instead of the denser zucchini bread I usually make. I however, used All-Bran, having no Raisin Bran in the house, and I left out the nuts. And I "had" to add chocolate chips--this trick worked to get my youngster to eat it, despite the visible green stuff in it.
Success!
Thank you for posting the recipe!
Laura

Shan said...

Yay, glad you liked it, Laura! Chocolate chips are ALWAYS a good addition, in my opinion.