Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Homemade Brownies = Delicious

On Monday night after we got home from our trip up north (and after everyone was fed, all cried out, and asleep), I baked a batch of homemade brownies as a thank-you gift for my friend Connie's family, who watched our house and cat while we were gone (and left us beer in our refrigerator to welcome us back--love those guys!). When I delivered the brownies the next morning, Connie may have implied that I was crazy to be baking homemade brownies on the night we arrived home from our trip, amidst the unpacking and the laundry and the mail and the tantrums. I swore that my brownie recipe is easy, easy, easy--perfectly doable while, say, skimming through kindergarten forms and doing one's fourth load of laundry. I promised I'd post the recipe so she could see for herself.

I love this recipe because I always have the ingredients on hand, so I can whip them up at the last minute. They're dark and fudgy, but somehow cakey too--the best of both worlds. Yum. Sorry I don't have a photo, but trust me: they're lovely.

Easy Cocoa Brownies (from the Betty Crocker Cookie Book)
makes 16 brownies

Ingredients:

1 stick butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup baking cocoa
2/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a square (8 x 8 or 9 x 9-inch) baking pan. Beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in large bowl (by hand or with electric mixer). Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread into square pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. (Do not overbake; these are most scrumptious when moist and fudgy. In my oven, this takes 22 minutes.) Cool completely before cutting into 4 by 4 rows.

No comments: