Sunday, August 09, 2009

I'm Back! (Or: It Didn't Even Seem Like I Was Gone, Did It?)

So, OK, I know: I did not take a week off from blogging. Or even from other facets of the Internet. Or even from Facebook! I'm so pathetic. I tried, really I did. I managed to go four days Internet-free (aside from e-mail) before giving in to the call of online social media, which is better than nothing I suppose, and better than a lot of people could do, I am sure. And I did cut way, way back on my Facebook usage, even after day four. (Gah! Love and hate Facebook all at the same time...)

But I have to admit, I went back to reading my favorite bloggers mid-week, because....I missed them. I did. I wanted to know what was going on in their lives--you know, just sort of curious-like, wondering whose kid was doing what and who was freaking out about what and who was thinking about what. Mainly because I needed the distraction from my own life--what my kids were doing and what I was freaking out about and what I was thinking. Because people, sometimes you just gotta get out of your own head. Whether or not the Internet is the best way to do that is debatable, but in the often-isolated existence of an all-day, full-time, stay-at-home mom to very young children, sometimes it's all a girl's got.

And so! Did you miss me as much as I missed you? Are you wondering if Genevieve's still in a crib? (Yes.) If she's going to bed nicely? (No.) If she sleeps all night long without waking up and calling? (No.) If she's three yet? (Almost.) If I've mailed in the preschool tuition? (Sigh.)

Maybe you're wondering how much I'm freaking out about Julia going to kindergarten (quite a bit), or if I'm re-doing the 30 Day Shred (maybe in September). Are you dying to know how much finances-induced insomnia I'm currently experiencing (a lot), and if I've figured out a way yet to land a lucrative book deal so that I can a.) get laser eye surgery, and b.) buy a big old (but perfectly rehabbed/restored) house on land out in the country somewhere with a kitchen island and a mudroom and space for all the kids' toys and craft supplies, just like those fantastic articles in Country Living magazine that show the hip young family with their happy-go-lucky small children throwing caution to the wind and embracing adventure and ditching the city life to raise their babies in an old farmhouse in Vermont? But without the Vermont part? (Uh, not yet.)

Ahem. (One thing that may happen if you reduce your Internet time is that you may end up reading a lot more home magazines that your neighbor so kindly passes along to you once she's read them, causing you to become suddenly and dramatically obsessed with the idea of moving into a different sort of house and a different sort of life, because even though your life is pretty good you irrationally believe that any dissatisfaction or stress you experience in your daily stay-at-home mom existence is somehow tied to the fact that your current house has no storage.)

Uh, ahem.

I've got to go, people. I've got a bunch of Country Living magazines I need to go pitch into the recycling.

7 comments:

Mom and Kiddo said...

The English Home magazine is my secret love. Well, not so secret anymore. Life would be so much nicer, if I, too, lived in a country cottage in the middle of a bluebell wood.

Shan said...

Mom and Kiddo: Yes! Yes it would! And OMG I'm so embarrassed I forgot to link to you as one of the people I checked in on during my fraudulent Internet fast. Because I so did!

Mnmom said...

And THAT is exactly why I quit reading home-type magazines 5 years ago. They just made me feel inadequate and created a false sense of need. Who cares what my mud room looks like?? What matters is how I am conducting my life.

Shan said...

Exactly! Although, for me, it's not so much a sense of need as a longing for a (falsely) idyllic childhood for my children. I see these photo spreads of old farmhouses out in the country and big gardens and children playing in meadows and the mom cooking fresh vegetables every day and collecting fresh flowers for the table and no one rushing off to activities or the TV and it all looks so slow and lovely, like the way I want to raise my kids. Somehow it all seems more possible in a big old restored farmhouse in the country. ;)

Mom said...

It would be worse because you'd have a bigger house to keep spotless, a big yard to keep up, and two cars to pay for and insure just so you could go anywhere!! Get rid of those magazines!

latisha said...

well done! takes so much work to wean the addiction. facebook is the worst/best. grr.

glad ur 'back.'

Rob Hardy said...

I'm back now, too! And I did miss you. I was, in fact, at my "house in the country." It's a hundred years old, on an island, and in need of constant repairs. This summer, I did some roofing. You can see the results on my blog...