Monday, August 31, 2009

Just Do It.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I often hold myself back, how I can be my own stumbling block (or let others be stumbling blocks for me). In other words, I can get in my own way when it comes to reaching goals or fulfilling accomplishments or even just getting things done. I mean, we all do this at times, right? And it seems like since becoming a mom, I've been so endlessly busy and overwhelmed by the nonstop tasks of mothering small children that this dynamic has become even more pronounced for me, because I feel too busy, too tired at the end of the day to take on anything more ambitious than a bowl of ice cream and an episode of 30 Rock. And I'm sure I'm not the only mama to feel that way.

I tend to sometimes stress out about things, or even just feel dissatisfied by particular things, and then spend a lot of time being bothered or distressed by them instead of just doing something about them. But recently I've become exasperated with this pattern, and I've adopted a new philosophy designed to reduce my stress and increase my feelings of empowerment: Just do it. Yes, I know it's not very original. (Thanks, Nike!) But it's very apt for me right now.

I'm talking about things both large and small. That scuffed, chipped dresser bothering you? Paint it. Tired of the last five pounds of baby weight? Diet already. Exercising too little, too much, too hard, not hard enough? Do more, do less, be lax, be tough. No one else mopping that dirty floor? Mop it. Still dying to write a book? START IT. Facebook driving you crazy? Get off Facebook. Stressed about money? Find a way to consult all summer long to earn cash for those pricey highlights. Worried about the bills? Sit down and make a budget, even if you're the only one in the family who will. Hate to travel with small children? Stay home. Sick of consumerism? Go on a buying fast. Neglecting your health--behind on the dentist, the opthalmologist, the dermatologist check-ups? Pick up the phone and schedule them. Want something published? Write an article and send it. Feeling broke? Find a way to earn some money. Tired every day? Get to bed a half hour earlier each night. Sick of technology? Go offline and read a novel.

Don't worry about who else is on board with you. Don't think about it too much. Just do it.

It's empowering to take action over the things you can actually control. Life's too short to get in your own way. I know I'll still procrastinate and neglect certain things and complain sometimes rather than taking action; I'm only human, and we all do it. But this is my new philosophy.

How about you? What are you just doing (or wish that you were)?

1 comment:

donna said...

Good for you!

I always love the aftermath of "just do it" moments. I recently rearranged some of the furniture in my house to make things more functional. Totally worth it. Next up? Cleaning and organizing the garage.