Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Beginning Kindergarten (Mom Version)

Me: Oh my goodness, I am NOT liking this business about having to be up, dressed, and appropriately groomed by 7:55 a.m. for the kindergarten bus stop.

Friend: What? YOU don't have to be ready for the day; only Julia does. You can go back inside and get ready after the bus leaves.

Me: No. I'm out there with my neighbor, who is always totally dressed and looking nice, obviously ready to start her day. I can't be out there at the bus stop in my pajama pants and bathrobe with uncombed hair and no makeup! You want me to be THAT mom?

Friend: I should be your neighbor! I'D be that mom, and then you wouldn't care about being outside in your bathrobe on the sidewalk with your neighbor!

Me: Ha! But you're not.

Friend: I guarantee, in one month you'll be over it. You'll be out there in whatever, coffee cup in hand.

Me: You're probably right.

5 comments:

Christopher Tassava said...

I think there's an insidious circle here: last year I saw the neighbor mom outside plenty of times in her pajamas and a bathrobe. Never any coffee, but close enough.

Mom said...

Quit worrying about what other people think.

Shan said...

It was sort of a joke.

donna said...

Or you could be THAT mom who shows up to work with unknown schmutz on her clothes. Tomato. Tomahto.

Rebecca said...

Donna -- i've been that mom, oh so many times! oh so many! :) Now its just expected. Its all about expectations!