Tuesday, September 08, 2009

The Conversation at Playdate Last Week Went Something Like This

Me: So Genevieve starts preschool next week, Tuesday and Thursday mornings.

Full-Time Working-Mom Friend:
Wow! That's right! You'll get five hours per week without kids at home! Oh my gosh, that must seem like a dream after five years of small children attached to your hip every waking moment!

Me:
Well, actually, Julia's school gets out a half-hour earlier than Genevieve's so it won't actually be five hours without kids...

Friend:
Oh. OK, so...four hours per week.

Me:
It's actually down to more like three.

Friend:
What?! Dear God, why?

Me:
Eh. A complicated set of factors related to the school bus drop-off schedule and Genevieve's preschool pick-up time. I've got to pick Julia up at the school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I mean, I know that's still a one-hour-and-forty-minutes-or-so block of time alone two times per week that I've never had before so I shouldn't be complaining, but...

Friend:
Are you kidding me? It is physically painful to hear that kind of subtraction math! That time is like gold!

Me:
I have a feeling an hour and a half--or whatever--will fritter away in the blink of an eye and all my plans for what to do with that time will disappear. I mean, you come in from preschool drop-off, you switch the laundry over, grab your second cup of coffee, answer a phone call, check your e-mail, clean up from breakfast, and poof! It's time to head out to the elementary school. I love being with my daughters, but I have personal goals I was hoping to start working on during that time.

Friend:
I think your personal goal should be to walk in from preschool drop-off, proceed directly to the nearest chair, and sit there. The entire time. Resting. In silence.

Me:
I don't think I know how to do that.

Friend:
GOLD, Shannon. GOLD.

No comments: