Saturday, October 31, 2009

Born That Way

Julia's all-time favorite book, about a preschooler
mouse who worries about everything, even the playground slides
and swings ("too high; too rusty; too loose").


You really ought to read this absolutely fascinating article in the New York Times a few weeks ago about babies, brains, and inborn traits for anxiety and worry. Of course, as a psychologist, this research does not surprise me at all. But it's nice to see scientific validation for how you know you (and your firstborn daughter) were just made, no more alterable than the color of your eyes or the shape of your face.

3 comments:

Mom and Kiddo said...

Thanks for that link. I don't talk about these things on my blog, but my son has greater-than-average social anxieties and it can be very frustrating to deal with... a lot of learning patience on my side.

happy halloween

Rob Hardy said...

We've spent the past couple of days attempting to reassure Peter that he wasn't going to die of H1N1. Just the latest in 15 years worth of anxieties we're had to deal with...

Shan said...

OMG, I'd totally be afraid of dying of H1N1 if I caught the flu. Poor Peter.