Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Conversation I Never Thought I'd Have Before Becoming a Parent But Here I Am Having It

Julia: Mama, I don't want to wear mittens today.

Me:
Why? It's cold out. You need mittens today.

Julia:
Because they don't look very good!

Me:
What are you talking about? Everyone else at the bus stop will be wearing mittens.

Julia:
Well, I'm NOT!

Me: Fine. Your hands will freeze.

Julia: No one else has mittens as big and thick as mine!

Me: Then go and trade them out for other mittens from the bin in the closet.

Julia: No! I'm just going to skip mittens; you said I could.

Me: That's fine. It's not my problem if your hands freeze and then fall off.

Julia: My hands won't fall off!

Me: They might.

3 comments:

Mom and Kiddo said...

This argument was instrumental in getting my son to wear his mittens last year.

donna said...

Natural consequences... a teaching tool. (Did you put the mittens in her bag so she wouldn't freeze once she realized mama was right?)

Mnmom said...

Oh she is JUST GETTING STARTED!!

At that age, I'd just make them put the mittens and hat in their backpack. Then they put them on later and still think they "beat" you.