Friday, November 27, 2009

Blessings

Conversation at Thanksgiving dinner:

Me: You know, the most important thing about this day is thinking about the things you're most thankful for in life. I'm thankful for all of you, and that we're healthy, and that Daddy has a job that takes care of us and buys our home and clothes and food. What are you most thankful for?

Julia: My birthday.

Me: .....OK, that's nice. Can you think of anything else you might be thankful for?

Julia: Myself.

Me, in my head: What about THE MOTHER WHO WENT THROUGH 60 HOURS OF BACK LABOR TO GIVE BIRTH TO YOU, AND TOLERATES YOUR INSANE SOCK-CHANGING ROUTINES EACH AND EVERY DAY?! Good Lord in heaven, can we get any thankfulness for THAT?!

Ahem. I'm thankful my mysterious tailbone pain went away. Also that Julia's stomach bug only lasted a day and a half, and that though I was convinced I was catching it earlier today, I seem to be fine after all.

I'm also thankful that even slight hints of having caught your child's stomach bug give you free rein to skip any previously planned workouts for this evening and instead lie on the sofa watching cable TV while sipping ginger tea and eating pumpkin cheesecake pie. Because pie is restorative, right?

2 comments:

Mom and Kiddo said...

Pie is not only restorative, it is essential for good health.
I was only number three on the thankful tree, right behind school and the school bus. Thankfully, ahead of Daddy :)

Shan said...

OK, this is really weird but Blogger is not showing that Mom and Kiddo left a comment here. It says 0 comments on the post. And yet, here is this lovely comment from Mom and Kiddo. Mystery!