Friday, December 04, 2009

At Least I'm No Longer Sleeping on the Floor in the Hallway Outside Her Door, People.

The other day Christopher tried--once again--to switch Genevieve's crib over into a toddler bed. The child IS 39 months old, after all. Of course, come bedtime, she cried for her "cwib," and it was back to babyhood. This was attempt #4 at the Crib-to-Toddler-Bed Transition. Of course, since Genevieve has not been a good sleeper since was one year old (see: the months of April 2008 to September 2009. Especially autumn 2008 with its 5-10 night-wakings per overnight period), it's totally not worth it to argue this point and insist on having Genevieve give up her crib. What do we care? She still wears a diaper at night and is not yet able to wake up to use the bathroom, so she doesn't need to be able to get out of bed on her own. Still, I do wonder if she's setting some kind of record for Oldest Child Still Sleeping in a Crib. It strikes me as odd, sweet, and hilarious all at the same time.

Genevieve told me once that she's going to sleep in a crib until she's "a gwowm-up," but then later she amended it to age five, and then age four. She's not coming down any further, however. Negotiations have hit a stalemate. She's holding firm.

3 comments:

Rob Hardy said...

I drank from a bottle until my brother, who is three years younger, stopped drinking from one. I must have been in kindergarten already. One of my earliest memories is of throwing my baby bottle out the car window while my mother was driving us somewhere. An epochal event! Eventually, I suppose, strong-willed G. will make the bed decision for herself.

Donna said...

I know I have suggested to you that you take her out of her crib (back when the sleep woes were at its worst) in the hopes that it would help her sleep woes. But obviously the decision to keep her in the crib was the right one since she feels safe in it. Genevieve is Genevieve - she will let you know (in NO uncertain terms) when she is ready to move out of the crib. In the meantime, enjoy that she's holding onto her babyhood. You know you do. :)

Nonna said...

I have a picture of myself snuggled in my crib and I am a good four years old. I think it had more to do with no money to buy another bed than it did with my wanting to be there, but there I am. The side rail is down. I hopped in and out by myself. So perhaps it's something in her genes...