Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Crankypants


Genevieve totally needed these pants when she was a baby. Too bad I didn't know about them then, and also that they are CRAZY EXPENSIVE SERIOUSLY WHO HAS THIS KIND OF MONEY? Also too bad that they don't come in size 3T, because she still needs these pants most of the time.

Oh, wait a minute. Anonymous? I STILL LOVE HER EVEN THOUGH SHE'S A SURLY BIRD 90% OF THE TIME AND ANY NORMAL PERSON WOULD HAVE TAKEN TO DRINK ABOUT 2-1/2 YEARS AGO. Did you get that? I can make jokes at my toddler's expense, and it can still be in a loving, good-natured way, and I can even snuggle and kiss her as I think and write these things. I actually love her! And she knows it! And yet, I make jokes like this. Mind-boggling, isn't it?! But true.

In other news, I found out today that my husband's second job is ending again this month, until next summer. Surely you remember last winter, when I stayed awake most nights brainstorming ways to save on cleaning supplies and Kleenex? Also that one month when I couldn't afford to buy milk, Genevieve's prescription refills, AND school snack during the same week? That was fun. Yes, so it seems we'll be reliving that little adventure again during the first half of 2010! FANTASTIC. I can hardly wait to not be able to afford my family's basic living expenses, and to beg my daughters' grandparents for a check to cover milk and medicine! (It was especially interesting that one time one of them refused.)

Despite all this, the girls and I are having Christmasy fun, and trying to focus on the festive tasks at hand. Today we made cookies decorated with red and green sugar, and now my kitchen is covered in sprinkles.


It's totally worth the mess. We've also been chain-listening to Shawn Colvin's version of "Silent Night" (you'd have to be dead inside not to love it), excitedly awaiting Julia's kindergarten class's "Winter Sing" on Thursday morning, and planning scads of playdates and sledding afternoons for Christmas vacation. I can hardly wait. January--and empty pockets--will come soon enough.

5 comments:

Mnmom said...

I could use a pair of cranky pants for myself! I hate money. And don't think powdered milk will help stretch the milk dollar. It does, but only by about 5 cents per gallon so it's hardly worth the effort.

And taking in another child pays about $5 an hour or less after you take out all the extra snacks, kleenex, TP, or wipes you're putting out.

Shan said...

Yep. You said it, Mnmom. (btw, when did powdered milk get so expensive? I thought it was supposed to be cheap. We bought it last year to make homemade cocoa mix as gifts for friends/neighbors, and it was expensive!)

I always think, maybe I should get an evening/weekend job. We have a friend whose sister-in-law got a job at Eddie Bauer for this very reason (home full-time with 3 kids under 6). She worked/works nights/weekends in retail to help pay the bills. But I don't know how people do that. I'm so exhausted by 8 p.m. I'm ready for bed!

Donna said...

I hope you can find a way to make it work; I know how important it is to you to be home with your girls. *sigh*

And those pants? Totally cute, totally not easy to make, but $80? No way. Especially when they'll outgrow them before you know it. I don't get overpriced kids clothes.

The Original Wombman said...

I'm not sure if you're a knitter or not but there's a very basic pattern out there for knit pants if you're interested. They won't be as cute as the Cranky Pants but they will definitely do the job. The pattern name, if you google, is Aubrey DoodlePants pattern (here's the link: http://doodlesknits.thoughtline.com/). I've been able to make a few for my kids using Patons wool I bought at Michael's with coupons--so for less than $10.00.

I know the upcoming weeks are going to be tough on you. Many hugs! You'll make it through.

Shan said...

Oh, The Original Wombman, I am so not a knitter. I appreciate your optimism and faith in me, but I think the patience required to learn how to knit would probably cause me to poke my own eye out with a knitting needle. Thank you anyway!