Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow



We're getting ready for a major snowstorm where I live, the first storm of the winter and the first real snow of the season (it snowed last week, but didn't even cover the grass). The children are thrilled and excited. Because the storm is supposed to span two days and involve 6-12 inches of snow, yesterday morning Genevieve and I ran out to the store to stock up on the basic necessities. You know: ingredients to make fudge.

In other news, as soon as I wrote that post last week about Genevieve's separation anxiety, she stopped crying about going to school. To be clear, she's not exactly bounding excitedly into her nursery school classroom like she did in September, and she's utilizing the coping strategy of bringing a teddy bear along each time (a practice tolerated by her teachers but technically against policy; you can imagine why the staff might want to discourage 20 children from all bringing their "loveys" to school each day), but the tears have stopped, and Genevieve seems fairly satisfied about going. Who knows? In another week it may be different again, but for now I'm thankful for the respite from preschool angst. On Friday, though, I'm leaving her with a friend for an hour so I can go help Julia's kindergarten class make gingerbread houses--an endeavor I imagine will be either unbearably cute or frighteningly ambitious (perhaps both)--and Genevieve's already lobbying hard for that entire plan to be scrapped. I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime, I hope you're enjoying your own winter wonderland--whether it involves a major snowstorm, and homemade fudge, or not.

3 comments:

Mom and Kiddo said...

I want a snow storm! That coat is crazy-shiny!

Donna said...

I'm glad to hear G was allowed to bring a 'friend' with her. Sometimes just knowing that you have a fuzzy soft friend can make all the difference, even if that friend stays in your bag the whole time.

May I suggest having her pack a special snack or toy or activity to share with her friend on Friday? Even if they don't share it, I find that it's helped my kids when they were younger and feeling nervous about going to someone's house (with our without us).

Shan said...

Donna--my friend is a step ahead of you! She is "sending" Genevieve an invitation to bring her bear to a "teddy bear tea" at their house on Friday a.m. Brilliant!