Monday, January 11, 2010

But Can You Do It When You're 38, I Want to Ask Her

Still nothing to say. Friends! I am so sorry. It's just that I know that no one cares about the sordid details of Genevieve's multiple-daily tantrums and meltdowns. That no one cares about her nightly fits about tucking in her blanket. Good Lord, the blanket. Kill me now over this blanket. Seriously. No, seriously. NO: SERIOUSLY.

And I am sure no one cares about the ice-skating tears. Oh, the tears! About the ice. And the skating. This would be Julia, of course, my fearful, low-tolerance, high-maintenance, overly sensitive, older daughter. The skates, and the slippery ice, and the falling down, and the tears! Also the tears over the resuming of the tumbling class after two weeks of Christmas vacation! More tears. About the tumbling. And the new newness of the class. So many tears.

So, I have one child throwing constant tantrums and the other having nonstop panic attacks. People! Are you glad you don't live with me?

Of course, it's not all drear and wailing. Julia knows how to read now, for one thing, for the most part. She also cares for a baby doll with an obsessiveness that appears eerily similar to real new-mom behavior, which is rather cute. As for Genevieve, she does tend to be hilarious when she's not having fits, so if you're lucky and are around her at key moments, such as when she's performing a made-up song in the car that goes, "And you can do it when you're one/And you can do it when you're two/And you can do it when you're three/And you can do it when you're four...", you will be highly entertained (though when we made the mistake of asking her what "it" was, she immediately scowled, gave us the stink-eye, and yelled at the top of her lungs, "I DON'T KNOW! DON'T ASK ME THAT!", a reaction that seemed extremely out of proportion to the situation).

So, you know. It's January. There's a lot of crying, screaming, and blanket-related pathology. Pretty much the same-old same-old. And you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My almost three year old has daily meltdowns too. She decided that naps are done also. I need some more chocolate.

Anonymous said...

Funny - only because I've BEEN THERE. I just found a coupon from my daughter (who is now 16) that she gave her dad when she was about 5 good for 'no crying for a week' - still not redeemed. At least we don't have those mornings anymore (where my son is covering his ears while eating) and my daughter is bawling about something. Some days I'd trade what I have now for what I had then, but I just repeat to myself - this too shall pass........

Mnmom said...

I care! And I care because I have also been there. And remember, I have PTSD from those days so I understand. Haven't you noticed my twitch?????

Lori said...

Tubes=tied. I don't know how you do it, honestly. Seriously though, that "DON'T ASK ME THAT" made me laugh out loud.