Thursday, January 28, 2010

I Stuck in My Jacket

It was a cute jacket while it lasted

This morning just as we were getting set to head out the door to nursery school, Genevieve zipped up her cute flowered parka--heretofore in great condition despite being worn for two winters by Julia and for 1-1/2 by Genevieve--only to have the zipper pull break off, SHATTER into several pieces, and leave Genevieve zipped to the chin in a jacket that now I had no way of removing.

The zipper would not budge without the pull--and believe me, I tried. The neck-hole was zipped up too small to get the jacket off over her head--though believe me again, I really tried, despite the fact that it induced ear-deafening screams from panicky Genevieve. The clock was ticking, Genevieve was wailing, "Oh NOOOOOO! I STUCK IN MY JACKET! I STUCK IN MY JACKET!", and the windchill outside was 19 below zero.

I had no other choice*. I took a scissors and cut Genevieve out of her only winter jacket. Yikes!

Thank God for emergency extra hand-me-downs stashed in the guest-room closet, including a size-unknown, too-large-but-it-will-do, quilted parka from an older cousin, which I had set aside for Julia but which is now Genevieve's jacket for the rest of winter 2010.

*[Edited to add: see the comments for a better explanation of why there was honestly nothing to be done about this zipper.]

12 comments:

Angel said...

Sorry Genevieve, but this made me laugh non-stop for a couple minutes this morning. You'll understand when you are older. Not so funny while happening, but oh-so-funny later. :)

Mnmom said...

Put a twisty baggie tie in for a zipper pull! I can't believe you cut the jacket - I actually gasped out loud!

Shan said...

Please believe me when I say the zipper was a lot cause. If you think you gasped, imagine me actually doing the cutting! It was practically physically painful. All I could think was, "My mom will kill me!"

Shan said...

(I should have explained: even the hole where the pull part of the zipper would normally hook onto the zipper head had shattered off altogether. There was literally no metal loop anymore for anything to fit into to pull the zipper down. On the other hand, to be fair, this jacket was on its 4th winter of use. But still! Physically painful!)

Tanya said...

you gotta do what you gotta do - sorry about that!


Tanya

Mnmom said...

Wow! I don't know which would be more traumatic - her screams or cutting the jacket. Good thing you had a back-up!

Donna said...

OMG. I'm not sure if that was more traumatic for you or for G. But, like Angel said, it's funny when you're on the outside looking in. (Sorry!)

I am so relieved to hear you have a backup. I mean, being without a winter coat in January in Minnesota? Impossible.

Is it worth replacing the zipper (vs. buying a replacement jacket so you still have one when J needs the bigger one)?

Shan said...

As I was assessing the situation and making the cut (literally), I realized that even if I could get the jacket off G. in another way (which, seriously, I could not), I'd have to have an entire new zipper put in, which I knew would cost more than would be worth it. (This jacket was a gift so we didn't spend $ on it, plus I knew that if I had to buy a new jacket I'd find a cheap one at Target or KMart like I do with all the girls' clothes.) But even so, Julia is currently wearing a parka that is smaller than the hand-me-down I just put on Genevieve this a.m. So, even if they want to keep things as-is right now, when Julia grows out of her current one, she and G. can trade. Isn't that silly? Sigh.

Mom said...

Oh, I won't kill you! In that situation I'd probably have had to do the same thing! And like you, I'd have likely had a back-up somewhere. Did Genna think you were going to cut her head off in the process, or did you slice it up the back???

Shan said...

Oh my god, the whole thing was just a black hole of hysterical screaming (Genevieve, not me). I don't know that she was so scared I was going to cut off her head, she was mainly terrified at the prospect of being stuck in her jacket. Forever. It was one of those moments where, had she been an adult and had it been a TV show, my character would have slapped her face to snap her out of her hystericalness. (CALM DOWN! I AM GETTING YOU OUT OF YOUR JACKET!)

Of course I trust every reader just read that comment very carefully, and noticed that I said IF SHE WAS AN ADULT AND IF IT WAS A TV SHOW. Because I would never slap my child's face, hysterical or not. Of course you all know that.

SkylarKD said...

MY zipper broke recently, and I thought I might be stuck in my jacket! Thankfully, I didn't have to cut apart my (super warm) ski jacket - I would have cried!

Mommy Lisa said...

I had the opposite! Boo Boo's jacket is such that the zipper pulls out and won't keep her jacket closed...but I did have a back-up too. Stashed in the closet for next winter.