Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thursday Do-Little Dinner: Slow-Cooker Chicken & Yams in Tomato Sauce

OK, so what is the difference between sweet potatoes and yams? I thought I was buying yams the other day, since they were on sale for less than the sweet potatoes, but I may have in fact purchased sweet potatoes. I don't know. Either way, this recipe--which I made up on the fly yesterday, throwing random ingredients into my slow cooker and hoping for the best--is delicious, warm, savory, and tasty on a cold winter day. The windchill is 16 below where I live, and if it's anywhere near that cold where you are, I advise making this for dinner tonight. It makes the house smell good, it's hearty, and the preparation is so simple it will free you up to sit in front of the fireplace with your kids and sip hot chocolate all day.

Chicken & Yams in Tomato Sauce
4-6 servings

1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs
about 1-1/2 cups jarred meatless pasta sauce, preferably a garden-vegetable variety (I used half a bottle of Ragu; the amount is approximate so just use what you have)
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes with garlic and onions
approximately 1 cup water
2 good-sized yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 cup frozen green peas
salt and pepper to taste

Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Top with pasta sauce, canned tomatoes, water, and yams/sweet potatoes. Shake in some salt and pepper. Cook on low for 6 hours or so, until chicken is opaque, potatoes are soft, and everything looks bubbly and slightly thickened. Add peas for last half-hour of cooking time. When done, shred up the chicken a little bit in the pot with two forks or the side of a large spoon, mashing things up a bit to thicken the mixture.

Serve over cooked brown rice, couscous, or bulgur; wrap up in tortillas; or eat from a bowl as a thick and chunky stew.

Enjoy! And stay warm.

3 comments:

Mnmom said...

YUM! You can't go wrong with chicken thighs!
I'll bet they were sweet potatoes. We don't often have actual yams around here. But they are both yummy so who cares. My kids like them baked, with cinnamon and sugar.

Shan said...

OK, the strange thing was, they were LABELLED yams at Cub! But when I peeled them and they were bright orange inside, I thought hmmm, either these are sweet potatoes, or what I've been calling sweet potatoes my whole life are actually yams!

Donna said...

Sweet potatoes and yams are different foods botanically and nutritionally.

But, I have found that many people don't know the difference. In my experience, they are often put next to each other at the store so it's easy to mix them up. I even found (through my job) that produce managers often don't know the difference once the tubers are out of the boxes and on the floor. *sigh*)

(I myself wonder whether what I'm buying is a yam or a sweet potato. But, I usually buy the purple Okinawan sweet potato since I know what I'm getting. Plus, it's my and my daughter's favorite anyway.)